Thomson Reuters is the Answer Company™. We provide authoritative content, advanced technologies and human expertise to help our customers find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters is at the forefront of developing technology that will revolutionize how people access and use information by interacting with intelligent machines. The Cognitive Computing Center of Excellence is a newly-formed branch of Thomson Reuters R&D dedicated to advancing the state-of-the-art in machine perception, reasoning, knowledge management, and human-computer interaction. We are partnering with IBM to use their Watson™ technology to build novel solutions for our millions of customers.
We are looking for candidates with innovative approaches and the expertise to combine and improve existing technologies into Cognitive Computing products that will help our professional customers find the answers they are looking for. Do you want to be part of a creative, smart team working on leading-edge problems along side other research scientists and engineers?
A Research Engineer has skills and experience that overlap with those of both a traditional Software Engineer and a Research Scientist. Research Engineers work closely with Research Scientists throughout the entire research process, from experimentation all the way through to product delivery, which may involve work with, or handoff to, Software Engineers.
- Create robust, well-designed software packages, in a maintainable, optimized fashion.
- Perform data manipulation, data analysis, algorithm development and other required research skills.
- Implementation of prototypes and the design of experiments to evaluate them.
- Validate key algorithms and architectures associated with such prototypes, followed by written reports.
- Transition prototypes into production.
- Software development as part of production projects, when applicable.
- Applicants should have a B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- Background and experience in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Question Answering, Text Mining, Information Retrieval, Distributional Semantics, Discourse Modeling, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Knowledge Bases, Probabilistic Graphical Models, Bayesian Belief Networks, and/or Inference Engines.
- Professional software development experience, preferably using Java. Knowledge of a range of other languages and environments is a plus, given the disparate set of tools used by researchers.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to act independently and contribute to ideation as well as the fulfillment of set tasks.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, and inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one—collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With around 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance—and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top