Business Unit: Legal UKI
The legal business of Thomson Reuters delivers best-of-class solutions to help legal professionals practice the law, manage their organisation and grow their business. Our solutions include Thomson Reuters Practical Law, Westlaw UK, Sweet & Maxwell, Lawtel, Contract Express, Legal Tracker, Elite and IDS.
Our customers rely on us to deliver the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers.
The legal and regulatory world is changing rapidly. We help our customers deliver their services with accuracy, speed and confidence. Through our innovative online products, decision support tools, software and services, we provide the critical information that law firms, barristers, corporate legal departments, the public sector and academics need to work at their best. For more information, visit legal-solutions.co.uk.
Position Title: Publisher
Position Type: Permanent
Department: Product Management
As part of the Product Management department, our Content & Publishing team manages the relevant brand, product and content programme for the authored law portfolio, across specific practice areas and a variety of product formats including print, ebook, on-line books and CDs.
Role Purpose/ Summary:
The commercial management of a portfolio of legal publications, with responsibility for product revenue and performance. To ensure that content is defined and planned in line with legal developments and market trends, and that appropriate, timely enhancements and updates are delivered for each product. To work with a range of suppliers and authors to develop functional specifications for new or legacy products, defining the financial and technical scope of enhancements to deliver market leading legal commentary, and manage product lifecycles for commercial success.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Accountable for the commercial performance of a portfolio of legal information products in subscription (online, looseleaf, journal) or book format, to include the commissioning and timely delivery of content cross-media to print, ebook and online.
- Develops detailed functional specifications based on business and customer requirements to support delivery of a proposition, product or service.
- Builds and maintains high-quality relationships with authors, to include commissioning new authors, negotiating contract terms, and ensuring continued engagement with publishing strategy and future development plans. Authors are often high profile figures including members of the judiciary, Queens Counsel, partners in top law firms, and other industry experts.
- Relationship management involving formal and informal channels, including but not limited to chairing meetings, attending conference or marketing and networking events.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field via a range of research methodology, deriving information from activities both desk-based and in-person.
- Works closely with cross-functional teams to ensure on-time, in-scope delivery of one or more components of a proposition/product/service lifecycle whilst ensuring the publishing process, customer support, and sales and marketing activity is appropriate, timely and of high quality.
- Reviews and develops the strategic longer-term content plan for key titles and the portfolio as a whole, to follow through to delivery on the plan.
- Inputs into the shorter term plans for individual titles, including costs, pricing levels, revenues, schedules, and, where appropriate, legal issues.
- Manages costs, including seeking ways to maximise the profitability of portfolio, and driving through cost savings.
- Supports overall strategy in coordination with company goals.
- Develops knowledge of the company's propositions, products or services and industry trends.
- Sales and Marketing
- Strategy & Business Development
- Customer Support
- Legal Counsel
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- Relevant and demonstrable publishing and/or legal experience
- Personable, with strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload to achieve deadlines
- Proven experience of developing new products/managing existing products to deliver revenue and profits
- Demonstrable commercial awareness and strong results orientation
- Ability to think analytically, collate appropriate research and apply results to guide decision making
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative
- Ability to understand and clearly articulate complex problems and solutions, with competency in collaboration
- Persuasive, mature communicator - written and oral
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of the legal information market
- Project management
- Understanding of product area
- Product development of online services
- Collaborating across boundaries
- Driving results
- Focusing on customers
- Championing innovation
Education/ Certifications Required:
- Legal background a benefit
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Back to top