We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
The role resides hierarchically within
- Engineering Technology & Operations (ET&O)
- Platform Group
- News Technology
News Technology provides services underpin the collection, creation, and delivery of News to all Thomson Reuters business units and customer facing products.
Our aim is to drive Thomson Reuters success by developing scalable tools that deliver sharper reporting, deeper insight and a customized content experience against an evolving news universe where.
- Content overload is the new normal as everyone becomes a publisher
- Consumers use digital sources and social media for news
- Customers need value added services:
- Aggregated news from multiple sources to ensure nothing is missed
- Joined up metadata to aid navigation and discovery
- Search and personalization to filter out the noise
- Verification and validation to provide certainty
- Data analytics and analysis to inform the right decisions
Position Title: Program Manager
Requisition No: JREQ084557
An exciting opportunity in one of Thomson Reuters flagship services, the Senior Program Manager will define, scope and manage large, complex programs against a background of change and significant uncertainty.
The role supports the Head of News Programs and operates alongside other senior leaders to define and deliver large / complex programs within the overall News Technology portfolio.
'Programs' are defined as either
- Leading all efforts associated with a specific asset / capability (or tightly coupled group of assets/capabilities), or
- Programs of work that require collaborative effort and delivery across numerous assets / capabilities.
Specific responsibilities include building SMART, customer relevant objectives, goals and scope for the programs (including any sub-projects within them); ensure appropriate and well directed executive sponsorship, support and steerage. Maintain program governance and build teams and relationships necessary to ensure success. Lead delivery; maintain visibility and control scope, schedule, resource, quality, and business realization of the stated value, communications, collaborative and inclusive partner management, reporting and active risk, change and decision management.
The programs will carry varying degrees of risk, uncertainty or unclear boundaries that the program manager will be accountable for defining and managing appropriately. This is particularly relevant in News Technology where the group runs both (typical) customer and business relationships that generate a volatile stream of requirements, but also a landscape of new opportunities, technologies and challenges that require fast, structured decision making that allows us to pivot effectively, without orphaning existing efforts, or pivoting without full understanding of the benefits, drawbacks and potential impact of these decisions.
On occasion the role may also require skills such as process engineering or the ability to define, communicate, and champion new methods of working necessary to realize the programs objectives.
You will also
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicates highly complex ideas at multiple organizational levels and modifies personal approach and style to reflect changing circumstance.
- Demonstrate and maintain a solid understanding of the industry, program management and development standard methodologies
- Build and maintain a broad understanding of related functional areas across the business and be ready to identify and progress new opportunities as they emerge.
It should be recognized that most News Technology teams operate primarily in vertical alignment with a defined set of News Technology assets or capabilities. The PMO however primarily operates horizontally 'across' assets and capabilities, and as a result have more focus on how projects interact with multiple technical assets, capabilities both inside and outside News Technology, the broader Platform Group and customers.
Essential Job Functions
- Translation of objectives, requirements, strategies and roadmaps into meaningful programs of work.
- Creating and maintaining a structured program based approach to management of the defined programs
- Ensuring programs and sub projects are set up for success through use of SMART objectives, existing methodologies and tools, but also by recognizing where these structures should be adapted to achieve the desired results.
- Partner communications, pragmatic decision making support, reporting, control, and other typical program and project management functions supported by an established project management framework.
- Editorial Technology strategic alignment: Continual review of customer requirements and projects against asset and capability roadmaps and core strategies – to ensure our $$s are being spent in accordance with strategic priorities
- Platform alignment: Support the cross-stream community to ensure that all groups and workstreams are aware of and leveraging News capabilities.
- Share Enterprise Program Management role in departmental planning, business case creation and onward management, resource management etc.
- Head of News Programmes and PMO
- Head of News Technology
- Internal Project Stakeholders
- Matrix Resources
- News Technology PMO and Business Operations
- Project business sponsor and external stakeholders
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Program Management and Portfolio Project Management – accomplished
- Project Communications & Stakeholder Management – demonstrably skilled
- Project estimating & planning – demonstrably skilled
- Matrix resource management – demonstrable skilled
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Dependency, Risk / Issue and Change Management – knowledgeable
- Development methodologies, including Waterfall, Agile and Dev-Ops - Proficient
- Understanding of how to transition assets / capabilities into ongoing operational support.
- Strong technical and architectural knowledge, in order to understand technical architecture and 'workflow' of project solutions.
- Qualification in PMP, Prince2 or other structured project management methodology is desired
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top