Privacy Counsel/Privacy Advisor
We are seeking an attorney or privacy professional to join the Refinitiv Global Privacy Office, whose primarily responsibility will be to assist in providing privacy advice across the Americas region, and supporting the Privacy Office on various projects related to the implementation and governance of the global privacy program that supports our businesses. Our team is growing to meet the ever changing privacy and data protection landscape. In this role, you'll be advising a global business on complex privacy and data protection issues, helping to foster a strong compliance program, and advancing our business as we drive progress for the entire financial community. Come join us!
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities: (Specific day-to-day responsibilities and milestones needed to achieve the objectives)
- Working within the Global Privacy Office to develop, implement, support and advise on our data privacy program, including program work related to the EU GDPR, CCPA, and Brazilian LGPD
- Provide subject matter expert assistance and support to colleagues in the Americas region on data privacy matters, and manage complex privacy related issues
- Work collaboratively to develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders within the business, legal and information security functions to promote privacy compliance
- Respond to and manage data subject access requests and the logging of such requests
- Support business teams and Legal with privacy issues in contract negotiations with customer and vendor relationships, including documentation such as data processing agreements and data transfer agreements
- Assist with providing advice related to information security matters and assist in handling the full lifecycle of privacy and cyber incidents and logging such incidents
- Help to monitor for relevant developments, new laws, regulations and guidance in privacy and provide analysis to the Global Privacy Office and key stakeholders
- Assist with policy and process development and reviews to ensure compliance with data privacy obligations across jurisdictions
- Assist with maintaining the Global Privacy Office's intranet page and assist in managing various email inboxes maintained by the team
- Assess and advise on the mitigation of data risks in new and changing products and services including those risks generated by trans-border data flows and any additional requirements under local privacy law(s), through Data Privacy Impact Assessments and Privacy by Default/ Design requirements
- Prepare concise but professional presentations, using common tools such PowerPoint and Excel
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Working as part of the Global Privacy Office, engage with colleagues within legal, compliance, information security, technology and other business partners. Engage with external counsel, consultants, industry bodies and other experts as requested.
- Good working knowledge of privacy and data protection laws, including GDPR, HIPAA and CCPA, and an interest in new technologies and multi-jurisdictional experience
- The ability to work in a complex and developing environment with multiple priorities
- A skilled and experienced negotiator with confidence to speak with customers during negotiations
- Experience of working autonomously, making sound judgments and providing appropriate recommendations
- Clear and concise communication skills, both written and oral
- Project management experience desirable
- Experience in compiling relevant information and presenting in concise but impactful presentations using common tools such as PowerPoint and Excel desirable.
- 3+ years' experience as an attorney or professional practicing in privacy and data protection
- Law degree from an accredited law school and active bar license and capable of obtaining proper authorization to practice in state (such as in-house authorization) or similar qualification
- Professional certifications such as CIPP/US, CIPP/E or CISSP preferred
The Financial and Risk Business of Thomson Reuters is now Refinitiv. Refinitiv equips the financial community with access to an open platform that uncovers opportunity and catalyzes change. With a dynamic combination of data, insights, technology, and news from Reuters, our customers can access solutions for every challenge, including a breadth of applications, tools, and content-all supported by human expertise. At Refinitiv, we facilitate the connections that propel people and organizations to find new possibilities to move forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. Therefore we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world-regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Refinitiv is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
Stamford-Connecticut-United States of America
Back to top