Press & Bindery Operator #3, 2nd & 3rd Shift
Perform various production duties as assigned in Eagan location. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Hanging web plates and paper, bundling, feeding and catching off conveyors, stacking books, performing layouts, packing boxes, inspecting books, performing handwork.
- Assist Operator 1/2 in the set-up, maintenance, and operation of equipment.
- Participate in training program and qualification process for a Machine Operator #3 position.
GOALS & ACCOUNTABILITIES
Support and assist Operator 1/2 in achieving annual department goals:
- Achieve and maintain machine productivity targets
- Achieve and maintain established quality processes and acceptance rate.
- Meet accuracy goals for data entry systems.
- Support overtime requirements for production goals.
Must demonstrate ability to continue to develop skills necessary to qualify as an Operator 3 during qualification process. To complete the qualification process for a Machine Operator #3 position, an Operator Trainee will meet and sustain performance expectations within one year in Bindery/Subscription Services/Digital and 2 years in Webs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support to Machine Operator 1/2 in order to achieve and maintain department goal for production rates per hour including downtime and make ready.
- Make recommendations to Operator 1/2, Production Lead or Supervisor regarding adjustments that will contribute to the quality of final product.
- Examine publications as listed in standard work to ensure a quality product is produced. Remove defective product and place in a designated area. Report any quality defects to Operator 1/2 or Supervisor.
- Accurately report and deliver correct product / material counts.
- Mark, verify, and tag all loads correctly.
- Train employees to properly identify plates/loads and take responsibility for quality.
- Perform or help the Operator 1/2 with the necessary preventative maintenance for greasing and oiling as scheduled. Clean work area around machine. Maintain productivity by performing maintenance or cleaning when the machine is down. Identify potential machine problems and solve them to alleviate unnecessary downtime.
- Work with the crew creating an atmosphere of teamwork and demonstrate behavior of leading effectively through support, encouragement, and regular feedback.
- Provide necessary training to crew members to help them obtain the knowledge that is needed for them to complete all their training modules, emphasizing quality, production, downtime, waste, safety, and good work habits.
- Follow Tier Production Model and Lean Manufacturing Methods implemented on machine.
- Contribute to Continuous Improvement (CI) Program.
- Arrive at the assigned machine on time and work to the end of the shift. Use time during shift transition to share information to the other crew (shift) concerning the upcoming tasks for the day and equipment related issues.
- Observe department and company safety regulations with special emphasis on using appropriate personal protective equipment, using lifts where available, and working safely around knives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Words: Manufacturing, Press, Print, Printing, Operator, CPS, Bindery, Assembly, Machine
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Additionally, the established Goals and Accountabilities for this position must be met and maintained.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, production order, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written format.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Also must be able to accurately measure product, read displays on equipment and use appropriate tables to convert data as needed.
- Knowledge of basic use and description of hand tools, ability to evaluate mechanical condition of press components and/or repair or recommending solutions.
- Make mechanical adjustments to machine settings to produce a quality product, read a ruler, inspects and replaces consumable parts.
- Inspects, lubricates, cleans, and repairs mechanical aspects of machine as detected and in accordance with lists provided and time permitted.
MUST HAVE ABILITY TO:
- Regularly lift above the shoulders up to 5 lbs. and irregularly up to 50 lbs.
- Regularly carry, push, pull, lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. and occasionally up to 50 lbs.
- Grasp repetitively throughout shift.
- Regularly walk, crouch, bend, stoop, reach, and kneel throughout shift.
- Stand up to 7.2 hours per 8 hour shift, standing time increases with overtime.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment including steel toe shoes and ear protection.
- Work with powered industrial vehicles.
- Work overtime up to 4 hours and weekend shifts.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top