Metals Correspondent, China
Reuters is seeking a talented and energetic reporter to join our team in Chinabreaking agenda-setting news on the world's largest and most dynamic metalsmarket - China. From the government's efforts to keep its massive copper andaluminium industry afloat, to the impact of the world's second-largesteconomy's slowing growth on manufacturing to Shanghai Futures Exchange'sincreasing clout on global futures market, China plays a central role in allaspects of global metals business.
Now a brawl over aluminium trade is escalating as Europe and the United Statesaccuse the country of exporting its excess output abroad rather than making bigcuts to production, hurting international prices and deepening the globalcrisis. How that unfolds alongside Beijing's efforts to protect jobs and shoreup its economy will be of critical international importance.
We need a motivated reporter to make strong sources among guarded traders atstate-owned and foreign firms, and break news on everything from state-runproducers' strategies on output and sales, to Beijing's stockpiling program, tostate-owned companies' moves to expand abroad to how much copper will be neededto build the nation's vast power grid – before it emerges from China'scontrolled state media or on government websites. The reporter will also beexpected to break news on China's precious metals arena, covering everythingfrom the country's price-setting ambitions as it launches a new gold 'fix' toits growing influence over bullion, silver and platinum group metal trade flowsdue to rising consumer and industrial demand.
The beat offers endless opportunities to write in-depth, enterprising piecesthat delve deeply into the dark corners of the industry, as well assophisticated, inside-the-market stories that speak clearly and compellingly toour trading customers.
The common thread is that we're always breaking new ground, and deliveringclever, well-crafted stories that have a real impact on the reader.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Stay on top of the flows and talk driving themarket
- Be sensitive to prices and ready to spotarbitrages for when Chinese buyers will enter the market
- Write reports on China's monthly import andproduction data
- Develop sources and break news
- Develop a deep market knowledge needed to identifymarket-moving themes and trends.
- Work closely with reporters across the region toproduce intelligent regional stories
- Experience of reporting in commodities markets preferred but not essential
- The ability to source breaking news in a timely manner and provide real time copy
- Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy
- Good written English, fluent Mandarin
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top