Manager, Westlaw Strategy
Our "So What":
As the world's preferred online legal research service, Westlaw is Thomson Reuters' top revenue grossing product and plays an integral role in the company's overall success. The Westlaw Strategy team is charged with maintaining and growing the value of this product by working pan customer segments and functions to ensure that the business is making the right internal and external decisions to maintain and grow its market share and maximize profit.
Who We Are:
- Strategic problem solvers. Always working with the end goal in mind. Able to apply structure to large and ambiguous problems and to seamlessly transition between big picture goals and detailed plans to accomplish challenging objectives.
- Critical thinkers . We build and test hypotheses. We collect input from multiple stakeholders and we try to make sure the best idea wins - even if it's not our idea.
- Story tellers. When we find the best idea we understand it may not be enough. We often need to convince a wide range of stakeholders who have competing interests. We put recommendations into context. We endeavor to give people a reason to get on board.
- Agile learners . Constantly reevaluating our own behaviors, approach, and recommendations as new information and situations present themselves.
- Data driven decision makers. We often do our own complex data analyses to ensure the recommendations we are making to the business are well founded and will lead to better business outcomes.
- Flexible. Proficient at working with and wearing the hats of different functions and markets. As willing to build a market research plan as we are to evaluate a commercial policy's impact on the business or build a financial model.
- Curious. We investigate why things happen, what the driving forces are, and how those forces impact other parts of the business. We are more interested in identifying and treating the cause than the symptoms.
- Individuals who believe the best teams are those where you will be supported and recognized for your contributions, but where you will also continually be challenged to become better.
Who We Hope You Are:
- Someone like us (see above, "Who We Are").
- An effective communicator who can distill complex information into key takeaways or actionable insights for both lay audiences and executive audiences; both through written and oral communication channels.
- A strong collaborator who has the ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues and partner organizations and influence individuals to action to achieve positive results.
- A person who has experience owning and delivering concurrent, time sensitive analytical projects.
- An individual whose drive to learn has earned her/him at least a Bachelors degree and, preferably, an MBA.
- A professional with 5+ years of relevant experience, business strategy experience preferred.
- Someone who is proficient in both Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Someone who is able to periodically travel for work.
- An individual with knowledge of the legal industry and needs of practicing attorneys would be plus, but not required.
Examples of Projects We Have Done:
- Formed hypotheses around the value of different types of customer contracts. Using Excel and Access, performed complex data analyses on customer behavior/decisions under each type of contract. Altered hypotheses and refreshed analyses. Calculated the value differences between contract types for the business. Cross collaborated with Sales and Finance teams to determine how to alter sales incentives to better align with contract values and interests of the company. Designed a storyline to share analyses findings and related recommendations. Socialized findings with key partners and decision makers through presentations and one-on-one conversations. Persuaded decision makers to change incentives to better align with the value each type of contract brought to the business.
- Performed secondary and primary research around product versioning. Found and reviewed research related to how to version products, product versioning opportunities, and product versioning risks. Interviewed product experts/scholars to fill in secondary research gaps. Outlined versioning options and examples of products that have been versioned using each of those options. Outlined best practices and common mistakes with real life examples of companies/products that demonstrated each of those. Created a framework to determine when to version and when not to version. Consolidated findings and presented them to Senior Leadership along with recommended considerations and next steps. Senior Leadership used findings to inform its thinking around Westlaw Edge.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America
Back to top