Manager, Product Management
Develop and manage the creation of new legal research products and enhancements to Westlaw that improve the customer experience and generate substantial new revenue for Thomson Reuters. This position requires someone who is passionate about understanding our customers, is capable of bringing creative and bold new ideas to life, can lead a team of highly motivated professionals and will deliver superior results consistently.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Lead cross-functional product development teams to deliver new features and enhancements, including software developers, R&D, product owners, content operations, finance, marketing, customer service, testing, billing and account management.
- Ensure that business requirements, product designs and team performance are consistently excellent.
- Manage formal and informal customer research to validate, prioritize, and refine new product concepts.
- Develop cost estimates and business cases for large capital investments and manage the development process through business case milestones by evaluating and reporting on progress, identifying and mitigating risks, and responding accordingly.
- Create and deliver compelling presentations that support product launch and ongoing sales efforts by effectively communicating the customer and business benefits of new features to senior management, customers, field staff, and other stakeholders.
- Manage quality assurance testing for products and enhancements.
- Monitor and report on performance of new products and enhancements through usage and revenue tracking.
- Provide oversight of existing products by answering questions, investigating problems, and working with technology and other internal teams to resolve problems.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
- Manage a small team of product development professionals to ensure on-time, on-budget and complete delivery of projects that address customer needs and provide real customer value.
- Recruit and hire new team members who are well-qualified and highly motivated to help the team succeed.
- Support and develop team members to help them expand their capabilities, prepare them for new roles, and improve how they meet their objectives within the evolving culture of the organization.
- Drive performance of cross-functional development teams.
- Coordinate with others from across departments to create strategic, integrated product lines.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Advanced legal degree (JD, LLM or MLS)
- 6 years of experience in product development, legal product management, or related software development or design, OR
- 6 years of experience in legal practice with additional product development or project management experience
- Experience managing and developing people is desired.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Substantial knowledge of the legal industry and needs of practicing attorneys
- Ability to execute on business objectives and new product strategies
- Ability to facilitate decision-making and build consensus, lead meetings and provide regular updates to all parts of the organization
- Ability to think critically and find creative solutions to problems
- Confidence when leading expert and passionate professionals in a fast-paced team environment
- Strong negotiating skills, including the ability to engage other stakeholders not under direct management to pursue a new course of action
- Strong project management skills, including project planning and ability to drive cross-functional, cross-department teams to accomplish established objectives within tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively summarize complex issues, particularly in a group setting
- Strong technical aptitude with ability and desire to learn new technologies
- Familiarity with Agile development methodology
- Superior time-management and ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a quickly changing environment
- Knowledge of general web and research technologies and core usability/interface design principles
- Demonstrated experience with both planning and implementing complex technical projects
- Extensive experience using Westlaw and other online research tools
- Proven analytical skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top