Legal Officer, TrustLaw (3 year fixed term position)
The Thomson Reuters Foundation stands for free, independent journalism, human rights, women's empowerment, and the rule of law. We expose corruption worldwide and play a leading role in the global fight against human trafficking. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world, including free legal assistance, journalism and media training, coverage of the world's under-reported stories, and the Trust Conference.
We have offices in 14 countries. We speak 35 languages. We work in partnership with journalists, law firms, social enterprises, NGOs and human rights leaders to foster socio-economic progress and strengthen the rule of law around the world.
TrustLaw is the Thomson Reuters Foundation's global pro bono service that connects NGOs and social enterprises with the best law firms around the world. Launched in 2010, TrustLaw has grown to include over 4,000 members in 175 countries, including over 750 law firms and in-house legal teams and over 3,250 NGO and social enterprise members. Our mission is to spread the practice of pro bono worldwide to drive social change.
Requests from our members for pro bono legal advice range from everyday commercial matters (corporate structuring, IP, non-profit governance or employment advice) to large scale, cross-border research programmes on complex social or policy issues. See our publications here on issues such as human trafficking and slavery, domestic violence, health and social innovation.
The Foundation is seeking a highly skilled lawyer, to work as part of a global team, to help further expand and strengthen our award-winning TrustLaw programme.
This role is a 3 year fixed term position
The successful candidate will:
- Handle pro bono requests from our community of NGOs and social entrepreneurs from start to finish: working with our members to scope their legal needs and define their requests for advice and assistance, placing projects with lawyers and following up with the parties involved.
- Scope, structure and help to manage cross-border legal research programmes that address the complex social and policy issues our NGO and social enterprise members work to tackle.
- Develop TrustLaw's relationships with our law firm and in-house legal team members, particularly those based in the US, and facilitate their engagement with the service.
- Support the growth of our legal membership by helping to recruit the strongest law firms and corporate in-house legal teams in the region.
- Represent TrustLaw and the Thomson Reuters Foundation by speaking publicly about our work to diverse audiences at conferences and other speaking engagements.
- Support the team on thought leadership projects including the TrustLaw Index of Pro Bono and TrustLaw training courses.
- Support the legal team to advise on the Foundation's internal legal matters.
- A qualified lawyer with 2 years of experience in a commercial legal environment and a good understanding of the commercial legal industry in North America.
- Experience and/or a demonstrated interest in the legal pro bono sector, with knowledge of key global pro bono trends.
- An excellent communicator, fluent in English and Spanish, with first-class written and verbal communication skills who will confidently present the TrustLaw service to professionals from diverse cultures.
- A highly motivated self-starter with an ability to work independently, contribute ideas to the team and drive projects to completion.
- A confident public speaker and strong networker.
- An ability to work quickly and to a high standard under pressure and to juggle multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience working on social or policy issues.
- Experience with social entrepreneurship
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top