Legal Manager, North America
Thomson Reuters Foundation
The Thomson Reuters Foundation stands for free, independent journalism, human rights, women's empowerment, and the rule of law. We expose corruption worldwide and play a leading role in the global fight against human trafficking. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world, including free legal assistance, journalism and media training, coverage of the world's under-reported stories, and the Trust Women Conference.
The Foundation is recruiting a Legal Manager, North America for TrustLaw. The position will be based in New York, and would lead TrustLaw's work throughout North America.
TrustLaw is the Thomson Reuters Foundation's global pro bono program. Our mission is to spread the practice of pro bono worldwide to drive social change. We help high-impact NGOs and social enterprises to grow, streamline their operations and navigate complex laws and regulations by connecting them with free legal assistance from the best law firms around the world. We also deliver groundbreaking legal research on key social and policy issues that our members use to support their advocacy and law reform efforts.
Launched in 2010, TrustLaw has grown to include over 4,800 members, including over 800 law firms and in-house legal teams and over 4,000 NGO and social enterprise members.
The Foundation is seeking a highly skilled and dynamic lawyer to expand our award-winning TrustLaw programme across North America and support us with scoping legal projects and research programmes.
Based in New York, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting our service across North America and expanding and consolidating the TrustLaw programme in North America, as well as representing the Thomson Reuters Foundation in the region. This will include:
- Scoping legal pro bono requests from our community of NGOs and social enterprises so that the requests clearly explain the legal needs.
- Managing pro bono requests, including connecting the pro bono client with lawyers and follow up with the parties involved.
- Designing, scoping and managing of multiple cross-border research programmes that address the most critical social and policy needs facing our NGO and social enterprise members.
- Mapping and implementing strategies to expand the TrustLaw membership by recruiting and engaging the best NGOs and social enterprises, as well as the strongest law firms and corporate in-house legal teams in the region.
- Relationship management of key TrustLaw members and facilitating their engagement with the service, through hosting events and managing regular communications, marketing and PR.
- Representing TrustLaw and the Thomson Reuters Foundation by speaking publicly on our work at panels, conferences, or other speaking engagements.
- Line management of a programme officer based in New York and a legal officer based in Los Angeles.
- Support the team on thought leadership projects including the TrustLaw Index of Pro Bono and TrustLaw training courses.
- An experienced lawyer with strong legal skills. You will have at least 5 years post-degree working experience (ideally with at least two of those years as corporate counsel or in private practice).
- Experience working with the charitable, philanthropic or social enterprise sector, and/or experience, or a demonstrated interest, in the pro bono sector, with knowledge of key global pro bono trends.
- Extensive experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders, from senior corporate executives and partners of top law firms to social entrepreneurs, NGOs and any other beneficiaries of our services.
- Strong understanding of the North America region, and experience working in the region.
- Fluent in English, with excellent written and spoken communication skills and an ability to adapt messages to different audiences. Fluency in a second language is highly desirable.
- A confident public speaker and networker who can confidently present the Foundation and our work at high level meetings.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure, to prioritise work and meet deadlines to drive projects to completion.
- An independent self-starter with an ability to design their own agenda and take responsibility to advance and complete projects.
- The candidate must be a strong team player, able to work remotely and communicate effectively with a global team.
- Experience using Salesforce would be favourable.
- This role will include a significant amount of travel across the region and occasionally to London.
This is a full-time role based in New York. The salary is commensurate with experience.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
New York-New York-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top