Position Title: Legal Counsel
Position Type: Permanent
Role Purpose/ Summary:
An opportunity has arisen in the for a full time Legal Counsel to join the Legal function.
The role will require you to operate as a legal counsel supporting the Thomson Reuters European legal professionals and corporate segments. You will be part of a wider network of Thomson Reuters lawyers in London and globally and will be encouraged to collaborate with lawyers across Thomson Reuters.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Operate within policy guidelines and requirements to ensure compliance and consistency. Work with lawyers across Thomson Reuters to provide legal resources for the legal professionals and corporate segments
- Review, draft, revise and negotiate a wide range of agreements with customers, vendors, resellers and other third parties, including data licenses, software licenses and SaaS agreements, professional services agreements, non- disclosure agreements and other commercial agreements relating to the sale and support of Thomson Reuters products & services
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries from internal clients that relate to a wide range of commercial law, intellectual property and compliance matters and advise business on appropriate legal action to be taken
- Identify ways to enhance and support internal processes and procedures and work with other members of the legal team and the wider business to ensure the swift and efficient provision of legal/contract support.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested
Essential Skills and Experience Required:
- Post qualification experience in private practice and/or as in-house legal counsel; some in house experience preferred (eg secondment if in private practice)
- Demonstrable ability and experience in drafting and negotiating relevant commercial agreements, including support agreements, license agreements and SaaS agreements, confidentiality agreements and Master Services Agreements
- Awareness of data privacy & GDPR, information security and competition law impact on commercial contract relationships
- Experience of negotiating commercial contracts in Europe
- Strong negotiating and communication skills
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, to identify and resolve legal issues and acquire knowledge of products, services and organisational structure
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and in a matrixed organisation and ability to work well as a team member and build rapport and trust with both internal and external stakeholders, as well having the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication, organisation, and analytical skills, and an aptitude for problem-solving
- Ability to speak a European language
Desired Skills and Experience Required:
- Experience of negotiating commercial contracts with customers in Russia
- Ability to effectively and pragmatically manage risks while maximising commercial opportunities
- Ability to learn new skills and to adapt to changing business compliance needs
- Law degree (or equivalent post graduate legal qualification) and current English qualified and practicing lawyer
- Desired dual qualified in a European country or at least experience of European civil law systems, from a contracting perspective
- Significant PQE
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Back to top