We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Business Unit: Financial & Risk
Financial & Risk (F&R) provides solutions to the global financial community - delivering critical news, information and analytics, enabling transactions and connecting communities of trading, investing, financial and corporate professionals.
We help our customers generate superior returns, improve risk and compliance management, increase access to liquidity and create efficient, reliable infrastructures in increasingly global, electronic and multi-asset class markets, through our market-leading Thomson Reuters Eikon, Thomson Reuters Elektron and Thomson Reuters Enterprise Risk Management solutions.
Position Title: Legal Counsel
Location: South Colonnade London
An opportunity has arisen in the Thomson Reuters Financial & Risk business unit for a new Legal Counsel to join the European Financial & Risk Legal Department.
The role will require you to operate as a legal counsel supporting the F&R business with the guidance and direction of more senior lawyers in the department. You will be part of a wider network of Thomson Reuters lawyers in London and globally and will be encouraged to collaborate with lawyers across Thomson Reuters.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Duties will include contract drafting and negotiation, corporate counselling, risk management and legal compliance.
Your primary responsibilities/duties will be to:
- Review, draft, revise and negotiate a wide range of agreements with customers, vendors, resellers and other third parties, including large master agreements, data licenses, software and intellectual property licenses, consulting/services agreements, non-disclosure agreements and other standard and non-standard agreements related to sales of the company's products and/or services working within agreed contracting policies and under the guidance of senior lawyers in the department.
- Assist senior lawyers in the department to ensure appropriate level of legal involvement in contract negotiations and compliance with policies established by the legal department.
- Interface with appropriate company personnel to understand the business and financial issues involved in the negotiation and administration of contracts.
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries from in-house clients that relate to commercial law and copyright matters and provide guidance and advice to internal clients on contract issues; help internal clients to recognize the impact of customized deals.
- Identify ways to enhance and support the enhancement of internal processes and procedures to ensure compliance with contract terms and work with other members of the legal team and back-office to ensure swift and efficient contracts execution process.
- Make positive efforts to promote personal safety and that of others by taking reasonable care at work, by carrying out the requirements of the law or following recognised codes of practice provided or advised by management to ensure safe working practices.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by your line manager/director on a permanent or temporary basis
The role will require you to provide legal support to all levels of personnel but in particular to the F&R sales, commercial policy and content acquisitions teams in Europe.
You will also be required to provide support to teams responsible for developing F&R products. Essential Skills and Experience:
- Post qualified legal experience gained either in private practice and/or as in-house corporate legal counsel operating across borders.
- Good negotiating and communications skills required.
- Demonstrable ability to draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements including commercial partnership and reseller agreements.
- Reviewing and advising on intra-group agreements.
- Good understanding of technology and information products.
- Advising on internal corporate restructurings / liquidations.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build rapport and trust with both internal and external clients.
- Must possess a high level of integrity and professionalism, be articulate, detail-oriented and hard-working.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, identify and resolve legal issues and possess knowledge of product, services and organisational structure.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, whilst also working well as a team member.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in the TMT department of a law firm or the equivalent function in-house function.
- Experience working with market data contracts
- Experience drafting and negotiating software license agreements
- Exposure to financial services customers and/or sector
- Ability to work in a European language preferred but not required.
- M&A and corporate experience
- Authorized to practice law in the EU.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top