Lead Test Engineer
Job Title: Lead Test Engineer
Location: London, United Kingdom
Opening Date of Applications: 22 May 2017
Closing Date of Applications: 18 June 2017
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Reports to: Director of Technology
The Lead Test Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, testing and collaborating with other team members to produce high quality, scalable and secure applications, in the compliance software and information solutions space.
This is an opportunity for a driven and innovative candidate to play a leadership and coaching role in designing and building the next generation products and platforms for Thomson Reuters Risk. We are seeking an individual with a strong technical background and experience designing, building and testing high-throughput, scalable, globally distributed solutions. Utilizing your organization, highly communicative and deep technical and test experience combined with a passion for learning, you will guide, mentor and collaborate with team members and actively participate in Scrum.
You will be an active member of our Technology team. The team is responsible for introducing best practices and craftsmanship and works closely with our Development, Test, Operations and Product teams, as well as with other business segments to prioritize test strategy, develop test roadmaps, and create test processes. You will need to work with staff across geographies and be prepared for occasional travel to each location as required by business need.
You will be working with likeminded, skilled engineers, solving complex problems and delivering enterprise software to support successful, award-winning products. Using Scrum, working across multiple cross-functional Scrum teams within a collaborative Agile department. You will be working with and coaching testers and developers to deliver working software every sprint in this fast paced environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate closely with other team members on a given application/project to yield a unified direction and vision.
- Help define, refine and articulate the testing solution required to support business initiatives and product strategy. Such activities are applicable to both new developments and enhancements to existing products and software tools.
- Understand the interactions between all components that make up the Thomson Reuters Risk segment.
- Participate in scrum ceremonies providing technical leadership and guidance for multiple scrum teams.
- Support resource planning and high-level estimates.
- Understand the interaction between the product components and the operational monitoring and maintenance capabilities.
- Guide the implementation and evolution of the appropriate test choices to ensure that the product meets its objectives in terms of functionality, performance, scalability, robustness and high availability.
- Act as Lead Test Engineer, you will participate on development projects and implement solutions in partnership with Development Managers and teams.
- Working with architecture teams to define test technology standards to support flexible customer oriented solutions, new developments, enhancements to existing products and software tools.
- Liaising with product management, technical operations, project managers, customer support, development, content technology, and security owners to establish requirements and produce test solutions and designs to meet business requirements.
- Working with development and test engineers to ensure cost effective delivery of projects and to review technical deliverables.
- Production and maintenance of test documents, technical briefings, presentations, FAQs, etc. suitable for internal and external clients.
- Assessing alternative test approaches.
- Mentoring team members on correct test practices.
- Support and verification of performance or security issues.
Essential Knowledge and Experience:
- Extensive experience coding automation tests or similar in Java or other Object Oriented languages.
- Experience with Web Services testing.
- Cucumber JVM.
- Performance Testing (load, soak, stress), Gattling, JMeter.
- Proficient and have a solid understanding of Selenium.
- A strong understanding of techniques for exploratory testing.
- Ability to drive test automation and quality improvements on a project.
- Experience evaluating risk.
- Significant proven experience in a senior/leading role in a commercial environment.
- Ability and experience overseeing design, implementation, testing and debugging of software according to schedules.
- Familiarity with web based SaaS and installed applications.
- Experience working across multiple platforms and technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to explain and document the test strategy and process to diverse audiences (technical, business, etc.) and at varying technical levels.
- Comfortable with absorbing new technologies quickly; highly self-directed and able to manage and prioritize concurrent and competing/conflicting challenges.
- Strong planning, analytical, influencing, organization, project management and time management skills.
- Innovator; ability to work collaboratively and a strong team player with a results-oriented track record.
- Capable of providing thought leadership and abstract thinking.
- Business aware (needs to ensure test provides an appropriate balance between cost and capability).
- Track record of superior performance.
- Follow recommended software development and test methodology standards.
- Pro-active customer service attitude.
- Oversee support and maintenance of production programs and data feeds outside normal business hours.
- Occasional travel (domestic and international) to other Thomson Reuters facilities on project business.
- A technical mindset with good understanding of algorithms, data structures, design patterns.
- Solid knowledge of Agile development practices.
- Strong Java development knowledge – specifically good clean testable Java
- Solid Database Knowledge
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- Black box and white box test approaches.
- Writing acceptance test criteria for user stories and development tasks.
- TDD and BDD.
- Cloud experience, AWS
- Experience of RESTful web services.
- Java 8
- Spring Framework
- Messaging: JMS, AMQP.
- Databases Oracle, MySQL. Comfortable writing SQL queries
- Experience with XML, XPATH, XSLT
- OS Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top