Lead Systems Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Elektron Integration and Engineering is responsible for the technology that underpins Thomson Reuters real-time financial information services, in particular Thomson Reuters Global Elektron Real Time Network and Integrated Data Network (IDN). Thomson Reuters Real Time Networks provide real-time information on 5 million instruments at 60,000 updates per second to more than 400,000 terminals and earns the company £1.6 billion per annum. Information is gathered from 300 stock and commodity exchanges and 9,000 banks and financial institutions. Along with financial data, 18,000 news stories are carried on the network each day.
To maintain the growth in the Financial Information space the Elektron Network was developed to replace the existing IDN infrastructure and is currently undergoing a major performance enhancement that is being deployed globally. The Elektron network significantly reduced overall latency for delivery of Real Time Information by collecting and delivering the data close to the source and users.
The Integrated Data Network has been in existence since 1986 – a considerable length of time in IT terms. Data update rates have been increasing significantly, every year that it has been in operation, anything from 40% to 100% p.a.
A global network does not undergo such expansion without significant technical innovation.
Our customers pay us well and in turn are very demanding so the network has to be highly reliable. The Real Time Networks achieve better than 99.95% availability, equivalent to less than 4 hours down time per year.
Position: Lead Systems Engineer
The Thomson Reuters Real Time Network is a proven high-throughput network that supports some of the most demanding financial applications in the market today. The Elektron Integration and Engineering Group is required to provide the development capabilities to keep this infrastructure operational, evolving and enhancing the current systems and developing new applications to provide a great service to the business.
To meet these needs we are recruiting an experienced Lead Systems Engineer to work alongside development teams, providing technical expertise in the use of Linux (Oracle Linux), MS Windows and Solaris operating systems on HP ProLiant and BladeSystem hardware.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following tasks in a high quality and timely manner:
- Track status of work and ensuring deliverables are produced to agreed schedules.
- Design, Configure and support Linux, MS Windows and Solaris based systems, including High Availability, Cluster and SAN based hardware Infrastructure to meet the requirements of the project.
- Work closely with the development team to provide technical consultancy on server builds and new technologies including Cloud computing.
- Provide input for the definition of project schedules.
- Produce high quality hardware design, installation and test documentation.
- Be involved in functional and network integration testing of the hardware solution within a computer lab environment.
- Analyze and resolve test failures where possible. Document for further investigation where necessary.
- Take part in reviews of own work. Take part in reviews of the work of colleagues.
- Provide support to Operations deployment teams and support functions to resolve issues
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent numerate discipline.
- Extensive professional experience of HP ProLiant server hardware, Cisco core and edge network infrastructure, as well as demonstrable knowledge of MS Windows, Solaris and Linux operating systems, including High Availability , Clustering and SAN technologies.
- Qualified MCSE / MSCIT Professional or equivalent Oracle / RedHat Linux qualification
- Previous experience of a similar role.
- Experience of all aspects of a formal software development lifecycle.
- Good written and oral communication skills, including understanding requirements, verifying expectations and written documentation.
- Basic understanding of principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing activities involved in planning, managing and implementing projects.
- A customer service focus.
- Previous experience of scripting in Bash for Linux/Solaris and batch/cmd for Windows.
- Knowledge of the following would be advantageous Linux/Solaris: Perl/Python, Windows: Powershell and Cross platform: Puppet support.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Thomson Reuters products and services
- Experience working in a global matrix environment
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top