Lead Software Engineer - Java
Thomson Reuters is a leading provider of transaction tax management solutions to companies of all sizes, enabling Finance, Tax and IT professionals to achieve accurate, timely and cost-effective compliance.
Our flagship offering, ONESOURCE Indirect Tax Suite, provides Consolidated Transaction Tax Management software and services, enabling global enterprise to manage sales, use, value-add, excise and specialty taxes with consistency, accuracy, control and efficiency. The marketplace is demanding our products, and Thomson Reuters is poised to grow significantly over the next several years globally and across all functions.
Come join our expanding software company as we move into the next phase of our exciting history — you'll get the chance to work with very talented and experienced teams at Thomson Reuters, who all possess the desire and entrepreneurial spirit to make this a wildly successful company! We work hard, but we make sure to have fun along the way. If this describes you, we're looking for qualified and talented people to join our team!
We are seeking a highly motivated Lead Java Software Engineer with 10 years of experience in enterprise and/or hosted applications development. You will work closely with a very experienced team to extend and support our industry-leading integration solutions and work with many of the latest technologies.
We seek a candidate with demonstrable, proven expertise in Object-Oriented Analysis, Design, and Implementation, and with applied experience using Design Patterns. Broad experience in various types of databases, distributed, and web-based applications. Superior communication and collaborative skills.
Experience with advanced Open Source technologies such as Hibernate, Spring, and Portal/Portlet technologies required.
Job Responsibilities include:
You will be responsible for designing and implementing product enhancements, redesign of existing product functions, trouble-shooting and resolving product defects, unit and integration testing. You will be expected to contribute to the architectural direction of new and existing applications. You will be part of new technology and process evaluations. Active interaction with internal customers, other developers, Quality Assurance, Business System Analysts, Tax Research, Professional Services, and Customer Support counterparts is an integral part of the role.
Some of the key tasks you will perform include:
- Designing object -oriented and service-oriented architectures
- Programming and unit testing of code based upon design sessions with internal software users, customer-reported issues, and input from Business System Analysts, Marketing, Professional Services, and Support
- Unit and performance testing of design as part of development cycle
- Developing and re-factoring existing products, providing product enhancements and resolving product defects to meet customer issues
- Providing technical expertise and peer code reviews to other team members
- Providing architectural input on new and existing solutions
- Writing technical specifications, program documentation, and unit test plans for all work performed
- Maintaining solid relationships within R&D and with cross-functional peers
- Assisting in Quality Assurance process and customer issue resolution
- Partnering with Quality Assurance to drive high-quality, on-time deliverables
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Job and work experience requirements:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 10 years of professional experience designing, developing, deploying, and supporting products in an enterprise or SaaS environment
- Experience with full life cycle development: requirements gathering, analysis, design, coding, unit testing, and acceptance testing
- Strong working knowledge with Object-Oriented Analysis, Design, and Implementation
- Hibernate 4 and Spring experience required
- Gradle, CXF, SOA, Web services, SOAP, XML/HTTP, Servlets, REST, and HTML are highly desired
- Experience with micro service frameworks (Spring Boot or similar) desired
- Exposure to cloud/container technologies (AWS/Docker) is a plus
- Java and J2EE development and analysis experience including SQL coding
- 5 years' experience with DB2, Oracle, or SQL Server databases
- Experience with agile/ iterative design and development methodologies
- Experience in any of the following is considered a plus:
- A variety of open source frameworks
- Applying Design Patterns and Enterprise Application Integration Patterns
- Prior work experience in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Performance testing, analysis, and tuning experience
- IntelliJ IDEA IDE
Other specialized knowledge and skills required:
- Proven strong analytical design and trouble-shooting skills
- Highly accountable for meeting all commitments and deadlines
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal for technical and non-technical audiences
- Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Drive for continuous process improvement
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top