Lead Software Engineer
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Risk
POSITION REPORTS TO: Development Manager
POSITION SUPERVISES: No Supervisory Responsibilities
THOMSON REUTERS: FINANCE AND RISK
Finance & Risk is a division within Thomson Reuters, and we are the Risk development team with an exciting start-up mentality. Risk was created in response to the issues raised during the 2008 financial crisis. Thomson Reuters Risk and the brand new application frameworks we are developing, hold our many different software solutions such as: anti-money laundering, legislative searching and work-flow collaboration. We are continuously increasing our market share through acquisitions and active development. You will be joining a team of like-minded technologists who are beginning to develop leading IT systems from the ground up using bleeding edge technology.
The Lead Software Engineer is responsible for designing, developing and collaborating with other team members to produce high quality, scalable and secure applications, in the compliance software and information solutions space.
This is an opportunity for a driven and innovative candidate to play a leadership and coaching role in designing and building the next generation products and platforms for Thomson Reuters Risk. We are seeking an individual with a strong technical background and experience designing and building high-throughput, scalable, globally distributed solutions. Utilizing your organization, highly communicative and deep technical and architectural experience combined with a passion for learning, you will guide, mentor and collaborate with team members and actively participate in Scrum.
You will be an active member of our Technology team. The team is responsible for introducing best practices and craftsmanship and works closely with our Development, Operations and Product team, as well as with other business segments to prioritize product strategy, develop roadmaps, and create development processes. You will need to work with staff across geographies and be prepared for occasional travel to each location as required by business need.
You will be working with likeminded, skilled engineers, solving complex problems and delivering enterprise software to support successful, award-winning products. Using Scrum, working across multiple cross-functional Scrum teams within a collaborative Agile department. You will be working with and coaching developers to deliver working software every sprint in this fast paced environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate closely with other developers on a given application/project to yield a unified direction and vision to be understood and followed by developers.
- Help define, refine and articulate the application design and architecture required to support business initiatives and product strategy. Such activities are applicable to both new developments and enhancements to existing products and software tools.
- Understand the interactions between all components that make up Thomson Reuters Risk segment.
- Participate in scrum ceremonies providing technical leadership and guidance for multiple scrum teams.
- Help define the high-level epics for new projects.
- Support resource planning and high-level estimates. Also participate in Scrum sprint planning and sizing activities.
- Understand the interaction between the product components and the operational monitoring and maintenance capabilities.
- Guide the implementation and evolution of the appropriate architecture/design choices and maintain consistency within functional development groups to ensure that the product meets its objectives in terms of functionality, performance, scalability, robustness and high availability.
- Act as lead engineer, you will participate on development projects and implement solutions in partnership with development managers and teams.
- Working with architecture teams to define technology standards to promote creation of flexible customer oriented solutions, new developments, enhancements to existing products and software tools, help others evolve solutions towards enterprise standards.
- Liaising with product management, technical operations, project managers, customer support, development, content technology, and security owners to establish requirements and produce cost effective, scalable architectures and designs to meet business requirements.
- Working with development teams to ensure cost effective delivery of projects and to review technical deliverables.
- Familiarity with network and database technologies and working with specialists to develop implementations.
- Production and maintenance of architectural documents, technical briefings, presentations, FAQs, etc. suitable for internal and external clients.
- Creating models and assessing alternative approaches.
- Mentoring technical team members on correct SDLC, coding practices and reviewing code
- Resolution of performance or security issues.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Significant proven experience in a senior/leading role in a commercial environment.
- Ability and experience overseeing design, implementation, testing and debugging of software according to schedules
- Familiarity with web based SaaS and installed applications
- Experience working across multiple platforms and technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to explain and document the enterprise data architecture to diverse audiences (technical, business, etc.) and at varying technical levels
- Comfortable with absorbing new technologies quickly; highly self-directed and able to manage and prioritize concurrent and competing/conflicting challenges
- Strong planning, analytical, influencing, organization, project management and time management skills
- Innovator; ability to work collaboratively and a demonstrated team player with a results-oriented track record
- Capable of providing thought leadership and abstract thinking
- Business aware (needs to ensure architecture provides an appropriate balance between cost and capability)
- Track record of superior performance
- Troubleshoot problems and implement appropriate solutions to problems; immediately raise issues or risks to the successful and timely completion of deliverables to the Project Manager or immediate supervisor
- Follow recommended software development methodology standards
- Pro-active customer service attitude
- Oversee support and maintenance of production programs and data feeds outside normal business hours
- Occasionally travel (domestic and internationally) to other Thomson facilities on project business
- A technical mindset with good understanding of algorithms, data structures, design patterns.
- A belief that TDD and BDD is there to help development and allow beautiful code to take shape and grow.
- Solid knowledge of Agile development practices.
- A willingness and an ability to share best practice and improve processes.
- Strong Java development knowledge – specifically good clean testable Java
- Experience of Spring and Hibernate, including Spring security and annotations.
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful web services.
- Solid Database Knowledge
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Java 7 & 8
- Spring Framework, Spring Security, Spring Batch, Spring Integration, Spring Data, Hibernate
- Messaging: JMS, AMQP
- Databases Oracle, MySQL and Postgres Comfortable writing SQL queries; SQL Server stack experience a plus
- Experience with structured and unstructured textual content and natural language and Boolean search technologies such as: Solr, ElasticSearch
- Experience with XML, XPATH, XSLT
- Versed in service specific standards such as SOAP, REST, JSON, etc.
- Maven, Git, Jenkins, Sonar, Jira, IntelliJ, Tomcat 7
- OS Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X, Windows a plus
- Familiarity with relational, XML, and network graph based data structures and exchange protocols
- Familiarity with distributed authentication systems an Identity Federation (e.g. SAML, WS-Federation)
- Experience working with User Experience and QA teams
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top