Lead Software Engineer - Centre for Cognitive Computing
Lead Software Engineer
Come join a team of creative and innovative software developers dedicated to working on leading edge problems with research scientists and engineers. You and your team will collaborate to create the next generation of products powered by Artificial Intelligence that will help our customers find the answers they are looking for.
As part of this team, you will have the opportunity to use exceptional development skills, and learn and grow in technologies like Big Data, search engines, recommendation systems and machine learning.
Thomson Reuters is at the forefront of development of technology that will revolutionize how people access and use information by interacting with intelligent machines. The Centre for Cognitive Computing is a newly-formed branch of Thomson Reuters Research & Development dedicated to advancing the state of the art in machine perception, reasoning, knowledge management and human-computer interfaces. We are partnering with companies like IBM and products like Watson™ to build novel solutions for our millions of customers. Thomson Reuters provides authoritative content, advanced technologies and human expertise to help our customers find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
We are looking for a motivated and self-driven Lead Software Engineer to join our growing team of scientists, architects and engineers in Toronto. You will be part of a team that will build ground-breaking solutions and making significant advancements to products across Thomson Reuters that empower our customers with critical answers.
- Implement algorithms and develop systems for information retrieval, machine learning information extraction, text categorization, text mining, or related areas in the context of large online delivery environments.
- Execution of such projects, including:
- learning and becoming skilled in AI and cognitive technologies and tools
- implementation of prototypes and the design of experiments to evaluate them
- performing of experiments to validate key algorithms and architectures associated with such prototypes, followed by written reports
- liaison with other departments concerning transition of prototypes into production
- Work closely with researchers as part of experiments. Help identify solutions, develop custom software, process data, run experiments, and capture and document results.
- Continuously develop new software development skills and contribute to the innovation that is this group's primary mission.
- Participate in software design, development and code reviews using:
- Java frameworks in a Windows/Unix environment.
- Mentor and guide junior software engineers.
- Effectively interact with external groups as part of integrated project teams.
- BS degree or foreign equivalent in Computer Science or related field
- 5 years of professional software development experience, including at least 3 years of application and web service development, preferably using Java.
- Proficiency in object-oriented design and development using Java.
- Proficiency in use of relational or NoSQL databases.
- Excellent and creative problem solving skills.
- Consistent record of being solution and results oriented, executing successfully, and capable of working in dynamic environment often involving quick analysis and decision making.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration capabilities with customers and teams.
- A minimum of 2 years experience directing other developers.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with large scale, real-time data processing systems.
- Experience with Agile or similar development methodologies
- Familiarity with any of the following technologies: natural language processing, machine learning, information retrieval, information extraction, document classification, summarization, and named entity extraction and resolution.
Candidates will be expected to be able to demonstrate their programming capabilities.
Thomson Reuters employees take pride in providing our customers around the world with information that is timely, accurate, unbiased and trusted. We have a profound respect for the professions and customers we serve and define our success in terms of their success. Our work environment is dynamic, innovative and entrepreneurial. We have a result-oriented culture that demands excellence, agility, and the desire to move quickly and precisely to seize opportunities. Our environment is both challenging and supportive - we give employees the opportunity to develop their skills and do their best work.
Thomson Reuters values diversity of culture and thought and seeks talented, qualified employees in all its operations around the world regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other protected classification under country or local law.
More information about Thomson Reuters and can be found at http://www.thomsonreuters.com/.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top