Lead Software Engineer
Lead Software Engineer
A Lead Software Engineer analyzes, defines, designs, constructs, tests, installs, modifies, and grows our information systems. A lead provides technical and resource leadership.
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
About This Position
Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting (TRTA) is seeking a Lead Software Engineer who will have a key leadership role in the development and enhancement of it's flagship product, Checkpoint. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for designing and implementing product enhancements, redesign of existing product functions, troubleshooting and resolving product defects, unit and integration testing. You will be expected to lead the development of user interface components and implementation of new and existing applications. You will be part of new technology and process evaluations. Active collaboration with internal customers, other developers, Quality Assurance, Business System Analysts, and Customer Support counterparts is an integral part of the role.
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
We are a community that believes each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters' core values?
Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
Key Responsibilities & Technologies
- Leadership: Provide technical leadership. Provide input in project planning sessions with team members to define and analyse requirements, provide design options, and provide work breakdown estimates. Be part of the technical oversight, making modifications to existing software and integrating applications and modules in collaboration with leadership.
- Teamwork: Foster relationships within R&D and with cross-functional peers. Assist in Quality Assurance processes and customer issue resolution. Collaboration focus on creating, reviewing, and maintaining technical documentation. Delegate tasks to other developers, as appropriate.
- Autonomy: Work independently, taking ownership of problems. Account for the quality and timeliness of own work.
- Mentoring: Provide input into assessment and training/mentoring of junior team members. Provide innovative technical input/coaching on performance and skills. Improve the quality of development in the organization and promote best practices.
- Reporting: Assist in identification and implementation of short-term and long-term solution options, including risk assessments, and recommendations to business and technology leadership.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Design: SOA, Web services, SOAP, and REST are highly desired
- Maintenance: Debug, troubleshoot, and maintain the codebase for new and legacy applications code. Maintain and grow applications according to business and technology priorities.
- Methodologies: agile/scrum development
- Communication: Participate in project planning and estimation sessions and regularly communicate status and provide insight and options where applicable.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 8 years of related experience.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top