Lead Software Engineer
There are some common yet complex problems to solve across Corporate Tax group in Thomson Reuters. The Technology & Operations group is looking to create standardized solutions to these challenges by building core services and technology frameworks.
We are building these platforms using NoSQL and open source technologies and deploying them across the globe using AWS and other datacenters. We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer who is hands on and can build build and deploy pipelines which will be used by a large development organization. The ideal candidate will be a hands on technologist and will have an understanding of how to build and manage artifacts, deploy and manage infrastructure which spans multiple datacenters.
This person will play a pivotal role in developing and supporting a platform to build, deploy and run services/microservices in a hybrid (split across AWS & on premise) infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be part of an engineering and devops team building the solution and will work with client development teams on integration into the platform.
The Thomson Reuters Corporate Tax Technology & Operations team is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic team of high performers and seeks to add a key member to our DevOps engineering team. This person will play an important role in our strategic transformation from product to platform-centric software engineering. These efforts are occurring within the broader context of major strategic initiatives to extend our market leadership, enhance customer experience, and implement next-generation software technology. In short, it represents an exciting and visible opportunity to join our team during a dynamic period of fundamental organizational and operational changes.
The right person will get to work with amazingly smart people to help foster our transformation and in the delivery of key strategic initiatives and product. We are looking for a person who is passionate about technology, passionate about automation, passionate about quality, and truly enjoys what they do. The qualified candidate is someone who has a can-do attitude and is an innovative thinker. You will be expected to foster a culture in which frequent interactions with other software engineers are the norm and seeks to make our architecture, platform, and engineering practices leaner, meaner and more effective – ruthlessly eliminating friction points, both large and small, wherever they may be found.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Engineering Excellence. You have at least 8 years of experience in a variety of contexts during which you've contributed to the construction of scalable, extensible software solutions and systems. These contributions could take many forms – analysis, development, testing, and/or project management. You understand technology and possess a passion for excellence.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. At Thomson Reuters, commitment to customer satisfaction and technology excellence permeates everything we do. You care tremendously about delighting our users and ensuring that our market and technical leadership is sustained and extended. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area, a minimum of 8 years of software engineering or related experience required. Must have at least five years' experience managing software engineering operations using CI/CD.
- Experience using technologies such as, Jenkins, Sonar, TFS, GIT, Puppet, Chef, Docker, NuGet, Artifactory
- Knowledge of Java, Python, RESTful services.
- Advance knowledge with one or more build management tools (Jekins (preferred), BuildForge, CruiseControl, Bamboo, etc.)
- Expert knowledge of Configuration Management concepts( branching, merging, integration, versioning, etc.)
- Experience with structured build files / tools (MSBuild, makefile, ant, Maven)
- Experience with multiple software version control systems (TFS, GIT, Subversion, ClearCase, Perforce, etc.)
- Advance knowledge and experience with Windows 2012 or higher and Linux
- Should have working experience with monitoring tools like SiteScope or other monitoring tools / processes
- Strong knowledge of CI/CD/DevOps concept and tools
- Strong Linux/Unix/Windows system engineering and shell scripting experience.
- Experience with elastically scalable, fault-tolerant and cloud-aware applications and
- software patterns, with strong preference for experience with AWS or Azure, specifically.
- Strong knowledge of virtualization hypervisor environments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Possess strong technical competency, preferably from hands-on experience in software or systems development. Engineers respect you and enjoy working with you.
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum team environments
- Results oriented. Detailed oriented. Driven. Take initiative without being asked.
Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work?
Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters core values?
Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top