Lead Software Engineer
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Production of high-quality, timely and relevant news remains critical to Thomson Reuters' success. This role is part of the News Technology Group. A key part of our news file is the production of very time sensitive "News Alerts" and news stories that inform the global financial markets about the changing fortunes of major global companies. These stories and alerts have always been among the most valuable information on the world's trading floors and meet the emerging needs of algorithmic / program trading and are driving increased competition.
This is a position for a Lead Developer to work on News Collection and Publishing Pathways as they pertain to the collection and distribution core frameworks and capabilities. In this role, you will be providing architectural insight, mentorship, and programming for news on-boarding, distribution, web-scaping, and real-time networking technologies. You will work with technologies such as XML, HTML, XSLT, JSON, and PDF, specifically where they apply to industry standards such as NewMLG2. These capabilities will be technology enablers for the Platform's vision to provide the world's most reliable, accurate and insightful news.
You will work with other technology team members to deliver news that will seamlessly integrate into an overall Collection and Distribution solution.
- Participating in project/work planning sessions with to analyse requirements.
- Understanding requirements to the level of being able to contribute to their creation, in collaboration with capability/product and/or business owners.
- Developing and integrating applications per written specifications. May be responsible for writing design specifications and architectural diagrams.
- Translating technical requirements into application code and modules.
- Making modifications to existing applications and modules in accordance with written specifications
- Unit testing and implementing application modules they have developed or modified, ensuring application meets needs of business.
- Taking part in reviews of own work, and the work of colleagues.
- Support operational teams with system maintenance, such as upgrading, fall back, patching, etc.
- Bachelors or higher in Computer Science, Math, or Engineering
- Minimum 8 years working experience in IT field mainly in software design, development and testing - majority of experience with C
- Additional exposure to Java, XML, and Linux programming desired
- Understanding of networking protocols, particularly the IP suit
- Understanding of metadata specific to News highly desirable.
- Knowledge and practical experience in OOAD and Design Patterns.
- Basic knowledge of high performance programming.
- Ability to analyze issue/provide a solution quickly, rich experience on debugging and relevant tools.
- Cross platform experience on Window systems a plus.
- Team player, ability to work in global environment.
- Good communication skills including technical writing & spoken English.
- Able to rapidly assimilate technical complexity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision & direction.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top