Lead Software Engineer
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
About This Position
Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting (TRTA) is seeking a Lead Software Engineer who will have a key leadership role in the development and enhancement of it's flagship product, Checkpoint. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for designing and implementing product enhancements, redesign of existing product functions, troubleshooting and resolving product defects, unit and integration testing. You will be expected to lead the development of user interface components and implementation of new and existing applications. You will be part of new technology and process evaluations. Active collaboration with internal customers, other developers, Quality Assurance, Business System Analysts, and Customer Support counterparts is an integral part of the role.
Key Responsibilities & Technologies
- Assist in all necessary phases of a project implementation, including functional requirements, technical design, development, unit testing and user acceptance testing as we build the CUAS application on a new technology stack.
- Develop software that operates within a highly scalable, distributed multi-tiered system.
- Provide team leadership for a small group of engineers plus technical leadership oversight for CUAS applications.
- Performance management of individual team members.
- Collaborate with technologists across the organization to build service integrations.
- Ensure consistency with Tax & Accounting architectural guiding principles for CUAS.
- Develop and mentor less senior members of the technology team.
- Articulate complex problems, concepts and solutions through formal and informal means to global technical and non-technical audiences.
- Be a thought leader and influencer in development best practices, which include security, infrastructure and automation.
- Apply principles of trust, transparency, accountability and ownership.
- Anticipate needs and implications of decisions, proactively working to identify, clarify, and resolve issues, and removing barriers within and outside the organization in a timely manner.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- 5 years of relevant experience with 2 or more of the following:
- Object-oriented analysis and design principles
- Groovy or Java development
- Application frameworks such as Grails or Spring
- Object Relational Mapping frameworks such as GORM or Hibernate
Experience with any of the following technologies is a plus:
- Unit testing with Spock, Jasmine and Karma
- Functional testing using Protractor or Selenium
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Computer Science degree preferred.
- 8 years of software engineering experience including:
- Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Proven ability to solve complex problems independently
- Creative problem solving, troubleshooting skills and critical thinking
- Designing & developing software for a critical enterprise n-tier web products
Demonstrated ability in the following behaviors:
- Effective time management, ability to plan and prioritize work; communicate project status, roadblocks, accomplishments; and effectively manage and prioritize a diverse workload
- Take ownership of problems, identify solutions and drive resolution
- Work well within a team environment and one on one
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience leading a team a plus
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization. Why is Thomson Reuters a great place for me to work? Each of us brings a unique perspective to our work. That perspective is shaped by where we live, the business we advance, and the decisions we influence. But true impact isn't something any of us achieves alone. It's only possible when ideas connect and talents are shared. Together, the power of our perspectives will move the world. That's why you're being invited to Bring it.
What are Thomson Reuters' core values?
Trust: We act with integrity and independence by holding ourselves and each other to be ethical and reliable in all we do.
Partnership: We work together, with each other, with our customers and with industry partners to deliver superior results and experiences.
Innovation: We innovate to serve our customers, drive our growth and win in dynamic business environments.
Performance: We deliver results, excelling at work that positively impacts the world.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top