Lead Software Engineer
Come join a team of creative and innovative software developers dedicated to working on the publishing and distribution of Thomson Reuters news content. We will collaborate to build systems and APIs that deliver news content to multiple products, enabling our customers to find the answers they are looking for.
As part of this team, you will be able to use your extraordinary development skills, and learn and grow in technologies like Big Data, search engines, and recommendation systems.
You would be responsible for the analysis, definition, design, implementation, and project oversight of NewsRoom systems. As a team member, you will interpret business requirements and delegate development work to team members. You will have the opportunity to work with partner teams, including but not limited to: Product Management, Quality Assurance, Project Management, Content Operations, and Operations Support. Active participation is required in daily and weekly status meetings.
You should possess the ability to identify solutions for complex problems, as well as have the desire to attain domain knowledge of the products you build and support.
- Lead and participate in technical design reviews, functional specification reviews, and commit to development project estimates, scheduling, test plans, and code reviews.
- Actively determine and resolve potential problems/issues including authoring of technical specifications.
- Regularly inform manager or team lead on progress of project, identifying risks early in the process.
- Ensure consistency with architectural standards for assigned projects.
- Active application development using Java 8.
- Create and maintain Unit Tests.
- Collaborate with QA team on test automation.
- Work with Continuous Integration Environments, such as Jenkins, and automated deployment tools.
- Effectively communicate with project partners of varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Work on multiple projects and manage time effectively, assessing risk and dependencies.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Continue to keep up to date on technologies.
- 6 years of Oracle/SQL, Linux Scripts, Java, with at least 1 year of Java 8.
- 4 years with XML technologies such as XML and XSLT.
- 2 years of experience building web service APIs.
- 1 years working with Hbase and Elasticsearch
- 1 years' experience with Message Queues, such as Rabbit, Active, or IBM.
- Experience in building backend workflow systems.
- Ability to adjust and set work priorities to meet deadlines in a dynamic environment and to work independently and self-motivated with ability to drive projects.
- Knowledge of building low latency delivery systems.
- Knowledge and experience with cloud services, such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience with NewsML-G2 standard.
- Understanding of Agile methods with practical experience.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or related field.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top