Lead Java Software Engineer - eLearning (Eagan, MN location)
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
This is an exciting time for learning across the professional industries Thomson Reuters serves. We are currently seeking a Lead Java Software Engineer to join the Optimus Development Team responsible for the strategic Thomson Reuters global learning, training and development platform. Our team is currently developing proprietary services, video platform technology, and mobile solutions. We are also working on a strategic integration with a Learning Management System (LMS) via both UI and Rest API's. Our team will also be working very closely with all of our strategic Business Units to either migrate to the new platform or create new products, both intended to drive growth. There are very few roles within Thomson Reuters that span as many businesses and have as much potential impact as those working on the Optimus platform.
The Lead Software Engineer will be the technical leader of a Java development team working in an agile environment to create innovative software solutions for our eLearning platform. Technical oversight will involve client, business and database layers including integrations with 3rd party software components. You will mentor junior programmers and engage with our business partners in designing and delivering new functionalities on the platform.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of experience
- 7 years software development experience using Java
- Java, Spring and Hibernate
- REST Web Services
- Oracle database
- Knowledge of core libraries and common design patterns
- Experience using Agile Methodologies primarily SCRUM
- Expert design skills including significant knowledge of core libraries and common design patterns
- 3 years of leadership skills with a track record of mentoring, setting technical goals, and delegating tasks
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize work effectively
- Able to provide technical guidance to a team of 5 to 10 developers
- Customer first approach to software development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (ability to communicate effectively with technical staff, Business Analysts, management, and business team members)
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging experience
- Comfortable leading design discussions in addition to hands-on development
- Mentoring junior developers and translating requirements from business partners
- Experience with Client-Side Technologies is a plus
- AngularJS, jQuery and HTML5
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top