Internet Performance Engineer
The Internet Centre of Excellence (ICE) is a small team of technologists within Enterprise Network and Technology. Supported by specialist systems and processes, functions as the centre of excellence for end/end Internet connectivity for products delivered over the Internet.
Your future team is responsible for monitoring the global Internet, detecting and isolating incidents and impairments relating to customer experience and driving activities needed to restore service to optimum levels.
Your day to day activities will include:
Detection of impairments from optimal Internet performance as perceived by product users through:
- Performance monitoring and analysis of connectivity and its impact on the customer experience
- Cooperation with internal operations groups and the network operations teams of Internet transit providers to isolate the root cause of the impairments
- Initiating appropriate actions to restore performance to optimal levels
- Mitigating identified risks to service levels
Responding to confirmed incidents relating to global Internet connectivity, by
- Coordinating diagnostic resources internally and into the Internet service provider supply chain,
- Directing the timely adoption of any remediation measures
The active analysis of IP traffic flows traversing Internet perimeter and other Internet data sources to:
- Capture, explore, examine and visualize Internet traffic,
- Detect unexpected or unusual flows and identify its source, destination and purpose,
- Identify opportunities to improve the customer experience, optimize the use of Internet assets and resources
Identifying opportunities for investments to ensure the competitiveness of our products As part of security capability deployed for detecting and mitigating DDoS and other threats, the ICE:
- Monitor this capability for security threat detection and analysis,
- Work closely with Security Operations Centre and other operational teams to qualify individual attacks,
- Work with product and service owners to maintain an appropriate configuration of the DDoS defence system as products and services evolve and
- Work with internal security teams and across the Internet supply chain to gain intelligence of threats and risks relating to Internet connectivity
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Required Skills and Experience
You should be/have:
- Advocate of the power and benefits of Internet use, realistic over its inherent limitations and demonstrating dedication to provide practical "how-to" consultancy to partners?
- Curious, creative, innovative and resourceful engineer, always trying to get to the bottom of an issue and looking for easier and better methods of delivering results
- Demonstrable experience of taking a customer-centric approach to supporting a complex, high value product or service relying on the Internet with a demanding global customer base
- Demonstrable experience of improving or optimizing service levels and the customer experience in a complex Internet support environment
- Expert of the Internet: its engineering - physical and logical, performance characteristics, resilience models, various registries and commercial structures
- Knowledge of key Internet protocols and sub-systems including BGP, DNS, TCP, HTTP, UDP and ICMP; and Internet proxies, preferably confirmed by CCNA/CCNP
- Strong knowledge of Internet security threats and mitigation techniques
- A highly professional, structured and effective communicator
- Able to contribute and rationalize ideas for the development roadmap and investment plan
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top