Internet Performance Engineer
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
The Internet Centre of Excellence (ICE) is made up of a small team of technologists within Enterprise Network and Technology, supported by specialist systems and processes, that function as the centre of excellence for end/end Internet connectivity. Based in Gdynia and looking to expand in St. Louis. Originally established to support the F&R business unit of Thomson Reuters, the expanded team is now able to take responsibility for service escalations relating to Internet connectivity across the whole Thomson Reuters enterprise.
The team is responsible for monitoring the global Internet, for detecting and isolating incidents and impairments relating to the customer experience and for driving activities needed to restore service to optimum levels. The prime objective of the ICE team is the proactive remediation of identified outages and performance degradation that impairs the optimal customer experience of Thomson Reuters products delivered via the global Internet. This function is performed five days a week, 24 hours per day, and supported by the two TS&C Global Networks Operations Centres (GNOCs) and the architecture, design and engineering teams and related operational groups of TS&C that support Internet connectivity.
Specific ICE team activities include:
- The proactive detection of impairments from optimal Internet performance as perceived by product users through:
- performance monitoring and analysis of Internet connectivity in key geographic markets, and its impact on the customer experience of Thomson Reuters products
- cooperation with internal operations groups and the network operations teams of Thomson Reuters Internet transit providers to isolate the root cause of the impairments
- initiating appropriate actions to restore performance and availability of Internet traffic flows to optimal levels
- mitigating identified risks to service levels
- Responding to confirmed incidents relating to global Internet connectivity, by
- coordinating diagnostic resources within Thomson Reuters and into the Internet service provider supply chain and
- directing the timely adoption of any remediation measures
- The proactive analysis of IP traffic flows traversing the Orbit Internet perimeter and other Internet data sources to:
- capture, explore, examine and visualize Internet traffic usage and the customer experience by target product or service and originating country/market/provider,
- detect unexpected or unusual IP traffic flows and identify its source, destination and purpose,
- detect unexpected usage patterns within known IP traffic flows and flag exceptions to the relevant product or service management team and
- identify opportunities that will materially improve the customer experience, optimize the use of Thomson Reuters Internet assets and resources or otherwise be of most business value to Thomson Reuters
- The proactive monitoring of the data held in various Internet registries on behalf of Thomson Reuters, the identification of errors or omissions in this data that impair service management of Internet connectivity and co-operation with Thomson Reuters registry administration teams to address data deficiencies
- Identifying opportunities for investments that will improve the customer experience of Internet-delivered services to ensure the competitiveness of F&R products in target markets
- Once an enhanced perimeter security capability is deployed for detecting and mitigating DDoS and other threats, the ICE will
- monitor this capability for security threat detection and analysis,
- work closely with the Thomson Reuters Security Operations Centre and other operational teams to qualify individual attacks,
- coordinate an appropriate mitigation to qualified attacks,
- work with product and service owners to maintain an appropriate configuration of the DDoS defence system as products and services evolve and
- work with security teams within Thomson Reuters and across the Internet supply chain to gain intelligence of threats and risks relating to Internet connectivity
Required Skills and Experience
- An advocate of the power and benefits of Internet use, realistic over its inherent limitations and demonstrating drive to provide practical "how-to" consultancy to stakeholders
- Proven experience of taking a customer-centric approach to supporting a complex, high value product or service relying on the Internet with a demanding global customer base
- Proven experience of improving or optimizing service levels and the customer experience in a complex Internet support environment
- Expert level technical knowledge of the Internet: its end to end engineering - physical and logical, its performance characteristics, its resilience models, its various registries, its commercial structures, service offerings from providers and related trends
- Knowledge of key Internet protocols and sub-systems including BGP, DNS, TCP, HTTP, UDP and ICMP; and use of Internet proxies
- Knowledge of end to end Internet performance monitoring and impairment diagnosis systems
- Strong level knowledge of Internet problem management techniques and troubleshooting skills
- Strong knowledge of Internet security threats and mitigation techniques
- A highly professional, structured and effective communicator, within the ICE team, across ENT and more widely with various internal and external teams involved in Internet delivery of F&R products
- Curious, innovative and resourceful engineer, always trying to get to the bottom of an issue and looking for easier and better methods of delivering results
- Experience of operating in a demanding service operations environment, in a technical support capacity
- Able to contribute and justify candidates for the development roadmap and investment plan for Internet enhancements, covering any aspect that will improve the performance, dependability and cost effectiveness of Internet for the F&R business
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top