We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Information Architect
Business Unit: ET&O
The Information Strategy Group, part of the Enterprise Technology and Operations organisation, is tasked with defining company-wide approaches to information architecture. Our work is focused on providing the conceptual foundations for a new 'information supply chain' that supports Thompson Reuters's ambitions for the data economy.
The group is seeking a self-starting, highly-motivated individual who combines information architecture skills with an ability to synthesize and communicate abstract principles in an engaging and understandable way to a variety of stakeholders.
They will contribute to the development and diffusion of an overarching information model that defines metadata standards for information identity, rights and obligations, provenance, authorities, and quality. Where possible the group adopts external standards. Sometimes we shape them.
The Information Strategy Group works collaboratively with colleagues from across the business, from technology people to commercial managers, to ensure the model delivers value to the enterprise. We engage on specific projects as well as undertaking purer research. The group also works with external organizations and standards bodies, customers, and technology providers.
To drive definition and adoption of information standards within, and promote platform approaches to, systems and capabilities involved in the full content supply chain.
Initially the role will be focused on establishing standards for rights management and data provenance with a view to ensuring adoption and use across TR in a medium term timescale
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Priorities will be:
- Bridging the gap between external standards bodies (e.g. W3C), technology providers, and TR use cases and objectives;
- Working as a standards and technology advisor to platform capability requirements and engineering teams;
- Working as a project consultant and architect on projects that provide reference implementations for TR use;
- Acting as an emissary and representative of TR with external standards bodies, research groups and technology partners or suppliers, and with customers.
Subsequently the role will contribute to determining the information "big rules" that should govern the complete TR content supply chain and ecosystem, from acquisition to product, along with identifying any new capabilities that may be required.
- Information and Enterprise Architects in the BU teams
- Senior management engagement to drive strategy
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Data process experience in a large organisation is essential.
- Data modelling skills - background as a practitioner is essential.
- Data architecture and/or content management and/or content operations experience at solution and enterprise levels would be an advantage.
- Self-driven and able to work independently while at the same time open and collaborative.
- Demonstrable experience of leadership in respect to information architecture and information management – having credibility and being authoritative.
- Able to think both conceptually and pragmatically, and able to balance the need to think with the ability to deliver.
- Strong analytical and architectural skills; ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to accurately analyse, abstract, visualise and communicate complex interdependent concepts, especially in regard to information structure and management.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-time zone environment.
- Fluent in English (both speaking and written) is essential.
- Good communication skills – able to engage and lead locally, able to influence senior technical management locally.
- Broad understanding of the issues that arise when designing and implementing content supply chains on a large scale, including the balance between efficiency, timeliness, and consistency of content handling.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Mentor to other staff – able to inspire, lead and guide.
- Data provenance, rights management, and/or permissioning experience would be an advantage.
- Comfortable working at a distance to the majority of day-to-day co-workers, using a full range of tools (email, instant messaging, phone, WebEx, Telepresence etc.)
- Knowledge and experience in leading edge data technologies – e.g. graph databases, Hadoop, HBase, Kafka, Avro etc. – would be an advantage;
- Practical programming and/or design skills associated with interface implementation (API or message-based) would be an advantage;
- Degree level education or equivalent industrial experience (extensive demonstrable information architecture roles)
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top