Incident & Problem Manager
Job Description Summary:
The primary role of the Incident & Problem Manager role is to ensure that major incidents are managed effectively and professionally, resulting in the restoration of normal service quickly, efficiently and with minimal impact to customer service. They communicate incident information and impact to senior management and key stakeholders across DCO and other the Business Units. Upon resolution of the incident, they will ensure that the correct follow up actions are identified and assigned. Post the Incident Management phase, this role is also expected to ensure all Major / PM qualifying Incidents are reviewed and Problem managed to ensure all aggravating factors and RCA are investigated and addressed through Post Incident Review meetings with the relevant parties & Stake holders.
As an Incident & Problem Manager, the candidate will:
- Ensure compliance with the Incident & Problem management processes; to ensure effective and efficient management of Incidents and Problems
- Manage major incidents, ensuring the smooth transition from Incident to Problem Management phase
- Ensure timely and accurate communications during an incident
- Conduct, Participate and contribute to post mortem calls within the Problem Mgt process, where required
- Identify & pursue opportunities for continuous improvement;
- Escalate to Senior Management levels as needed to bring correct response and support from owning groups;
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Acts as the point of contact and escalation for support groups and internal businesses during recovery of major incidents.
- Identifies an incident owner to lead the incident process during major incidents.
- Ensures appropriate escalation procedures are followed as required.
- Assesses impact and progress during major incidents to ensure escalation is timely and appropriate
- Enters incident details in the incident management tool in a timely manner with accurate information.
- Provides accurate and timely communications on impact to the appropriate distribution lists and senior management
- Ensure correct inputs to the Problem Management process
- Drives governance around incident management, for example, ensure an incident ticket is opened, escalated, updated, and closed accordingly
- Establishes regular communication with relevant IT management and the business regarding the status of incident tickets and adherence to the incident management process
- Gather information and facilitate the decision making process of granting approval for immediate change requests to systems with input from the appropriate teams, understanding the potential impact to production systems prior to approval
- Contributes to evolving and maturing the incident management process so it integrates with other processes (problem and change management) and tools
- Leverages incident management best practices and process frameworks, such as the ITIL, to drive continual process improvement.
- Participates in incident management technology evaluations and decisions, and manages the day-to-day use of incident management tools.
- Once Incidents are closed, write Problem cases for those Major / qualifying Incidents to be reviewed with relevant stakeholders and IT Support / Teams
- Ensure all Problem Management cases are reviewed for Aggravating Factors and Root Cause Analysis and thus managed within the defined SLAs
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, related field or equivalent experience
- In-depth experience in ITIL incident, problem, and change processes and tools
- Strong working knowledge of IT operations and support organizations
- 9 years working in a service or IT support role, incident management preferred or can demonstrate equivalent
- Working experience in a production/operational environment, international experience valued
- Proven ability to work under pressure
- World class in facilitating the resolution of complex incidents
- ITIL Accredited
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- In-depth knowledge of IT end-to-end incident and problem management
- Knowledge of Service management tools and ITIL best practices
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships effectively
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; ability to handle multiple incidents/demands simultaneously while adapting to constantly changing requirements.
- Proficiency in process formulation and process improvement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to speak at an appropriate technical and business level for the audience and prepare written proposals and recommendations
- A focus on Customer/business satisfaction, with strong interpersonal skills and responsiveness
- Ability to drive process improvement to continually improve service and reduce costs
- Understands strategic business objectives and proposes relevant technical solutions and alternatives
- Ability to communicate with all levels of technical and management staff
- Passionate about Customer Service and acts immediacy and urgency
- Flexible (in relation to working hours)
- Displays Leadership & Authority when facilitating
This role will include shift hours.
CF Manages the execution of reactive and proactive processes and activities required to design, implement, maintain, and improve the compliance and performance of operations processes. Works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate, and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies, and information systems. Understands business problems and opportunities in the context of the requirements and recommends solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals. Works with various areas throughout the organization, determining needs for new functionality for customer products. Ensures business objectives are identified, understood, and accounted for in the development of technology solutions. Works with others to research, evaluate, and document business/user/functional requirements, as well as, participates, and may manage components of the design, testing, and implementation of technological solutions that enhance the value of the company's products and business systems. Utilizes various elicitation and modeling techniques to identify, interpret, and define specific business requirements. Coordinates analysis and alignment of stakeholders' requirement needs and facilitate requirements prioritization. Communicates goals and expectations, as well as provides training around process execution within technology. To view the full job code description, copy and paste the following url into your browser to access the GRF site, https://reachingourpeople.com/career-development/global-role-framework/. Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Qualifications External At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top