HR Business Partner, People Function
HR Business Partner, People Function
Are you excited by the opportunity to connect the dots and add value on a global scale for our People Function of over 700 employees? Do you want to help to accelerate our HR2020 vision and ensure we have a function with cutting edge capabilities? Are you passionate about engaging and developing talent within our function?
This role will report to the Head of HR, Corporate Functions and be a member of the Corporate Functions Leadership Team. Further, the role will work directly with the People Function Leadership Team (PLT) to drive talent development, consult individually with PLT members on organizational design, effectiveness and complex HR issues and partner closely with the HR2020 project team. As we have a myriad of activity focused on the HR function, we need someone with the ability to work across boundaries, bring disparate activity into a cohesive whole and to present the HR story. As such, this is a high profile role within the People function and requires an outstanding HR practitioner with strong consulting skills and personal qualities including resilience, ability to deal with ambiguity, highly pro-active and strong personal drive.
Major areas of accountability
Talent Management and Organizational Development
- Designs the right operating model and talent management activities for the function to support delivering the business strategy
- Strengthens and builds the talent pool through comprehensive talent management including succession planning, talent flow and career management
- Coaches leaders on effective management of their talent including career and development planning
- Executes the talent acquisition strategy to attract and on-board required future capabilities including ensuring they themselves are deeply connected to the external markets from which talent will be sourced
Partnering and innovating across the enterprise
- Partners effectively across the People Function to develop, co-ordinate, deliver and promote projects and initiatives within the function that drive the functional and business strategy
- Acts as a change agent, partnering with others to enable the HR 2020 vision
- Determines the implications of changes in the external and internal business environment and contributes to the appropriate HR response
- Provides consulting advice, coaches and influences leaders on people plan and people leadership
- Works with other HRBPs and COEs to ensure the execution of their people plan is in line with others and is non-duplicative
- Identifies employee engagement trends and oversees resolution of employee relations issues
- Consults and identifies ways to improve business effectiveness and operational improvements in alignment with the business model
- Creates actionable insight between organizational health and business performance
- Leads efforts to build a diverse and inclusive environment where D&I is a driver of strategy
- Partners with stakeholders to reinforce and embed the desired values and culture of the organisation
- Uses Rewards as an appropriate driver of organizational performance, works closely with the Reward CoE to ensure appropriate uses of various reward types
Understanding our customers, our industry and Thomson Reuters
- Understands the enterprise strategy and on-going transformation of our business through staying current on latest trends both internally and externally that are relevant to our industry and our profession, brings back best practice to implement
- Actively seeks out external research and insight on innovation that can help to inspire and spark creativity within the function
- Develops professional network both internally and externally, including regularly attends external events to promote Thomson Reuters HR
Understanding data and creating insight
- Interprets and provides metrics and analytics to guide management decisions that drive the people strategy
- Creates actionable insight from data to positively impact organisation performance
- Leverages predictive analytics to forecast future organisation impact
- Knows how to and promotes the use of Workday as the main platform for creating organisational insight and operational efficiency
Linking financial performance to people planning
- Actively monitors Thomson Reuters financial performance and their organisation's balance sheet to understand the people implications of current business performance
- Proactively designs and delivers the HR response to financial performance and targets of the business
- Ensure the return on investment of people activities are measured to ensure positive impact on operational/ financial results
Strategic workforce planning
- Interprets the business and functional strategy to deliver the strategic workforce plan in collaboration with key stakeholders that is fit for purpose for both the short- and long-term
- Uses predicative analytics and scenario modelling to inform strategic workforce planning
- Uses knowledge of the external market to identify future capabilities against industry trends in order to design and execute the workforce plan
- Alignment of people costs spend with strategic workforce plans
Education and experience requirements
- Business, HR, or relevant Master's University degree is a plus
- Track record of designing and being accountable for the delivery of for a global people strategy or for the delivery of a talent strategy
- Track record of leading the HR response to changing industry / business environments
- Experience partnering with senior business leaders
- Experience working in global, complex, matrix environments
- Experience actively managing health of an organisation (engagement, culture, D&I etc.)
- Organizational savvy. Experience in having navigated a complex matrix and getting things done
- Ability to navigate and build relationships at all levels across the organization and operating through ambiguity and being networked. Credibility and experience influencing HR stakeholders at all levels
- Experience working autonomously, making sound judgments and providing appropriate recommendations within complex organizations
- Values and behaviors – demonstrates positive values , role modelling the Company behaviors (trust, partnership, innovation and performance)
- Thomson Reuters management behaviors – role models Thomson Reuters management behaviors with a high focus on discretion and confidentiality
- Problem solving and consulting – ability to diagnose, design, implement and embed robust people solutions which deliver on the Enterprise / BU strategies
- Leading through ambiguity - ability to deal with ambiguous/fluid situations whilst thriving in challenging, global and fast-paced business environments
- Change agent – ability to spot internal and external trends and lead the organization through change
- Resilient – able to support leaders and the organization through challenging situations whilst ensuring excellent execution
- Self-driven with strategic mindset but able to operationalize as needed and an ability to ability to balance operational and strategic agendas
- Genuine interest, curiosity and passion for HR and the business
- Courage to challenge and act as the conscience of the organization
- High degree of emotional intelligence / ego maturity demonstrated through good judgment, intuition, self awareness and awareness of others.
- Flexibility to adapt style and method based on what is needed.
- Ability to influence outcomes specifically beyond the hierarchy of their role, through personal presence and confidence
- Strong delivery and execution despite roadblocks
- New York or Stamford
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top