Head of Reliability Engineering, Infrastructure
Refinitiv is a multibillion US dollars business. It provides critical news, information and analytics, enables transactions and connects communities of trading, investment, financial and corporate professionals. It also provides leading regulatory and risk management solutions to help customers anticipate and manage risk and compliance.
Within the technology function, Technology Operations manages the continuous availability and evolution of Refinitiv internal and customer facing applications and underlying infrastructure. These services process billions of updates per day, millions of web requests from and to hundreds of thousands of financial terminals, tens of thousands feeds, etc...
The Technology Operations guaranties the application service availability, their deployment and set-up for Refinitiv. It supports hundreds of services running from about 60, 000 production servers, manages the underlying network and platform infrastructure as much as the applications and ensure that our vendors and third party providers deliver in line with our business expectations. It stores 60,000 Terabytes of data and handles 79 billion market messages per day ; critical information which must always be available to our customers.
To support our business strategy in more agile and effective ways we are moving to a platform strategy supported by virtual technology. Our Operations need to evolve to operate at scale a business critical platform hosted in virtualized Data centers and cloud environments. We are moving to a lean enterprise DevOps model embracing the cloud and other Data center software driven opportunities supported by strong standard and processes.
As functions of the Technology Operations, Reliability Engineering deliver support and continuous integration activities across the application and infrastructure operation maintaining the business critical systems running or subscription products. These groups are also accountable for driving the Customer Experience agenda within their respective domains. Drives support and continuous integration across key domains. These groups are organized per business focus and report to the respective Global Heads of Reliability Engineering
The Head of Reliability Engineering Infrastructure is responsible for the 24x7 application ( infrastructure ) support of the Infrastructure business critical services that underpin the overall performance of a multi-billion dollar business segment within Refinitiv.
The Head of Reliability Engineering manages a global organization of Level 2 support engineers and site reliability engineers. The group is contributing to the availability of services, their security and regulatory compliance, and the customer experience associated with their domain. The group also guaranties the reliable, agile and continuous flow of change required to optimize the performance of their platform ecosystem and performance of the customer service.
The leader in this domain will be accountable for building a customer and business centric service culture across their team whilst establishing a true DevOps capability across the broader organization and helping to delivery a fundamental transformation to the underlying infrastructure and services. This will include optimizing the infrastructure estate and cloud-based capabilities, and driving focus on high-value activities through effective use of automation, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
This role will report to the CIO, Technology Operations.
Key focus areas:
- Deliver global service availability and performance to meet (and exceed) business and customer needs. Work with broader technology, operational & business teams to continuously improve end-to -end service experience and associated cost of delivery
- Effectively manage major application deployments and infrastructural changes within Domain. This will include delivering step improvements in performance with focus on automation and use of technology / tools to optimize velocity, agility, predictability and service quality
- Drive pro-active identification and resolution of incidents and underlying problems - working with broader technology and service organisation to provide appropriate transparency internally and externally throughout, and to remove risk of recurrence
- Deliver continuous improvement of both core products / platform ecosystems and operational processes, tools and capabilities based on operational experiences and application of broader industry best practice and standards
In line with CIO Technology Operations focus:
- Establish true DevOps and Service (First) Excellence capability and culture within domain and support evolution across the broader organisation
- Lead transformation to a leaner, more agile, customer connected and diverse global organisation with skills and tools to support and enhance the virtualised and cloud based environment and eco-system
The role requires good working knowledge of managing availability of business critical services in a large-scale technology environment involving multiples systems and operating teams.
- Demonstrating leadership for large group, being culturally aware is a key success factor.
- The individual must be able to inspire trust, manage expectations, gain sponsorship with business and technology senior and executive leadership teams.
- Crisis resolution with vendors, customers and senior leaders is also a key element.
- The ability to build or rebuild trust (post incidents) with Refinitiv customers relying on our company for their business is needed.
The individual in charge:
- Has an ability to understand commercial, technological and service drivers in order to drive execution priorities
- Has an ability to balance his personal focus and the organization outcome between immediate service priorities, service and automation improvement and strategic transformation
- Has a drive for continuous improvement and can manage change and transformation effectively,
- Has experience of customer engagement with significant commercial and relationship at stake, in a crisis context, in a pre-sale context.
- Has experience of ITIL and Agile methodologies
- Has experience and understanding of traditional infrastructures, virtualized and cloud environment and the associated implication for applications and processes.
Competencies & Knowledge
Knowledge / Education
- Technical and/or business degree or equivalent with computer science/IT experience/knowledge.
- Good understanding of financial services industry and products including Refinitiv markets.
- Firm understanding of IT infrastructure and the core function and process to operate and run.
- Leadership and ability to mobilize an organization balanced across three regions.
- Collaborating across boundaries.
- Ability to manage stress.
- Drive pro-active action and thinking.
- Structured and organized.
Experience and knowledge
- Proven experience in an operation role driving an international organization.
- Previous contribution and leadership in a successful large-scale technology transformation.
- Understanding and experience of the various functions within operations and development.
- Understanding and experience of development or development testing desirable
- Customer facing experience or experience within Refinitiv customers.
- ITIL process and agile development methodology.
- Experience of balancing risk with business requirements.
- Group and targeted communication.
- Culturally aware
The Financial and Risk Business of Thomson Reuters is now Refinitiv. Refinitiv equips the financial community with access to an open platform that uncovers opportunity and catalyzes change. With a dynamic combination of data, insights, technology, and news from Reuters, our customers can access solutions for every challenge, including a breadth of applications, tools, and content-all supported by human expertise. At Refinitiv, we facilitate the connections that propel people and organizations to find new possibilities to move forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. Therefore we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world-regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Refinitiv is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
Hong Kong-Hong Kong;London-United Kingdom;Bangalore-India;Singapore-Singapore
Back to top