Head of Architecture - Service
Job Title: Head of Architecture - Service
Location: London, United Kingdom
Opening Date of Applications: 18/09/2017
Closing Date of Applications: 16/10/2017
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Finance and Risk:
The Finance and Risk (F&R) organisation provides solutions to the global financial community – delivering critical news, information and analytics, enabling transactions and connecting communities of trading, investing, financial and corporate professionals. Financial & Risk serves more than 40,000 customers and 400,000 end-users across the world. We are focused on maximising efficiencies through standardisation and work to harmonise processes, culture and information to support business objectives.
The Principal Architect will report to the Lead Architect of Finance and Risk (F&R). The successful candidate will be working in a small team of architects responsible for defining an enterprise architecture strategy that aligns with the F&R product strategy. This role will focus on the service aspects across the business unit focused on defining and architecting the requirements of the Global Head of Service Operations. This role will be responsible for the design of the future technology strategy within F&R to ensure that the organization is focused on delivering synergy of applications across the F&R business unit and aligning that with the enterprise strategy across the other business units (Corporate, Legal, Tax and Accounting, and Global Growth Organisations) within Thomson Reuters while maintaining customer service around specific business unit needs. The transition definition from the current to the target state will be a key part of the role.
Major Areas of Accountability:
The Principal Architect is responsible for leading the program to develop, maintain and govern the architecture across Finance and Risk, and to define the associated IT strategy. The primary focus will be to drive for increased alignment and collaboration across business divisions, to reduce system complexity, and to increase efficiency of overall technology investment based on Platform principles.
- Work within the team responsible for the development of the F&R architecture function, as well as promoting and communicating its progress, outcomes and results to the business unit leadership, and the wider organization and its leaders
- Understand, advocate and support the enterprise's IT strategies, as well as analyzing the business unit and enterprise IT environment to detect deficiencies and recommend improvements
- Defining and aligning the business unit technology architecture to the product strategy of the business unit and the enterprise technology strategies.
- Production of current, transition and future state application landscapes and roadmaps
- Producing the governing principles and policies to guide information design, technology selection, and architectural and design solution decision making for the business unit
- Be a leader in the identification and analysis of the drivers of business, information, technical and solution architecture requirements through liaison with product managers and customers.
- Analyze IT industry, vendor and market trends to determine their impact on the enterprise through liaison with suppliers
- Consult with business unit development teams on application and infrastructure development projects to fit them to the architecture, as well as determining when it is necessary to modify the technical architecture to accommodate project needs
- Design and direct the governance structure and activities associated with ensuring compliance with the architecture and associated standards and policies
- Establish and enforce best practices for operations, application and solutions architecture
- Oversee the evaluation and selection of hardware and software product standards, as well as the design of standard configurations
- Identify the organizational resources, structures and cultural change necessary to support the architecture
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience of design tools and principles, operationalization of large scale systems, systems design, API design, technology including development and integration. An essential part of the role is interface design for machines and humans focused around the non-functional aspects of the products in order to meet service criteria.
- Extensive experience and progressive responsibility in technical architecture in a technology related business, including experience with large, complex enterprise-wide systems within the financial services sector or similar relevant sectors.
- Must be a technological visionary that can engage at the most senior levels within an organization, provide leadership to the wider technology community, and be a mentor to staff within the business unit.
- Must be able to communicate principles, standards and governance across teams.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in a global matrix environment
- Advanced degree in a technology field, or equivalent work experience, required.
Working within a small team of Architects managed by a Lead Architect reporting to the CTO. These individuals will be responsible for defining architecture strategy in conjunction with business strategy for specific business units or domains. This group will also be responsible for delivery of the design of a capability led organization going forward with a focus on driving synergy within business units around the application portfolio. Within the team, this role will have an emphasis on delivery to machine and human users.
This is a global role and may require some international travel from time to time in line with F&R Technology general practice.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top