Front End Software Engineer
Reuters is seeking an experienced Front-End Software Engineer to be a part of a small team of high-performers. You will work on web interfaces and back-end services, deployed to our internal infrastructure as well as the public cloud. These services help our customers discover and use our content or create and distribute their own content.
Some projects we have worked on and released recently are:
- Digitizing and exposing Reuters' entire video archive dating back to 1896, and containing millions of clips.
- A 360 video ingestion and distribution pipeline – we've partnered with Samsung to provide 360 video and slideshow coverage using Samsung's new gear 360 cameras.
We use modern technologies and frameworks like Clojure and ClojureScript, Reagent/React, Docker with Rancher/ECS, AWS Lambda, Sass and more. We're always looking and exploring new tools and technologies to find the best fit for the problem at hand.
The ideal candidate has deep experience with modern web stacks, familiar or is keen to learn functional programming, has architected modular front-end solutions, and understands newsroom workflows.
Reuters, the news and media division of Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news provider, reaching more than one billion people every day. Over 2,500 journalists in nearly 200 locations around the globe deliver unparalleled international and national news coverage in 16 languages with speed, impartiality and insight to professionals via Thomson Reuter's desktops, the world's media organizations and directly to consumers on Reuters.com. Reuters stays true to the letter and spirit of the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles, ensuring independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
The Reuters News Agency licenses Reuters' news and services to the news industry. Our customers are broadcasters, print and digital publishers, corporations and governments. Reuters News Agency provides its clients with multi-media news solutions to reach their audiences. Our products include video & text feeds, pictures & graphics, packaged content and syndication services which reach billions of consumers around the world.
- Design, build, and test scalable web applications
- Explore and implement intuitive and compelling experiences
- Refactor or re-implement existing web UIs
- Estimate work scope and time and meet deadlines
- Review peers work and provide feedback
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- BS in Computer Science or similar field
- Knowledge of at least one web stack (Rails, Django, LAMP, etc.)
- Experience with ClojureScript and React.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new tools, frameworks, and languages.
- Comfortable with quickly addressing changing or new product needs to help seize business opportunities.
- Deep understanding of user experience utilizing quantitative data.
- Ability to clearly communicate design decisions and trade-offs.
- Passion for writing clean, maintainable code with tests. Enjoy refactoring.
- 3 years relevant work experience
- Regularly perform code reviews
- Automated cross-browser testing
- Functional programming experience
- Responsive design, CSS preprocessors Led or contributed to an open source project (please provide a github url)
If you believe you can bring something special to this role, we want to hear from you. You may have a non-traditional career path, education or background. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this role, let us know in a cover letter with your application. Reuters depends on diversity of thought and you could be just what we need.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top