Editor - Court Reporter
We are trusted for the decisions that matter most, empowering customers to act with confidence in a complex world. Our intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Business Unit: Legal UKI
The legal business of Thomson Reuters delivers best-of-class solutions to help legal professionals practice the law, manage their organisation and grow their business. Our solutions include Thomson Reuters Practical Law, Westlaw UK, Sweet & Maxwell, Lawtel, Contract Express, Legal Tracker, Elite and IDS.
Our customers rely on us to deliver the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers.
The legal and regulatory world is changing rapidly. We help our customers deliver their services with accuracy, speed and confidence. Through our innovative online products, decision support tools, software and services, we provide the critical information that law firms, barristers, corporate legal departments, the public sector and academics need to work at their best. For more information, visit legal-solutions.co.uk.
Position Title: Law Reporter, Legal Editor
Position Type: Permanent
Role Purpose/ Summary:
Reporting to an Editorial Team Manager, the role primarily involves regular court attendance, selecting key cases according to defined criteria and writing digests of those judgments, ensuring the ratio and obiter are concise and clear. Checking and proofing digests written by others is also a key component of the role. The work is subject to tight deadlines (including same day reporting) for loading digests and full text to Thomson Reuters online services.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Any or all of the following duties, based on qualification and needs of the cases team:
- Attend court hearings regularly, write contemporaneous notes of oral judgments and write a report of the judgment in agreed house style for loading on the same day to online services.
- Write digests of transcripts of cases either handed down in court or received from other sources in agreed house style to specified deadlines, with correct legal analysis and clear writing style, applying SMG Taxonomy
- Proof digests written by colleagues or freelancers in agreed house style
- Select cases for reporting and prioritisation according to defined reporting criteria
- Provide feedback and training for other members of the team as required
- Provide cover for other members of the team as required
- Provide editorial support for the publication of case products as required
- Achieve the required level of self-management of priorities and workload
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Law degree or GDL essential
- Keep abreast of legal developments
- Broad based legal skills and knowledge
- Ability to clearly and concisely analyse and interpret key issues and legal concepts and present them in a logical fashion
- Good analytical writing style, excellent grammar, spelling and general editorial skills
- Structured reporting skills
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Understanding of customer requirements and ability to balance those requirements with the needs of the business
- Able to demonstrate meticulous attention to detail
- Able to work under pressure of tight deadlines
- Able to work on own initiative in a team environment
- IT literate
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BPTC/LPC preferred
- Experience in practise/paralegal role and or a Publishing /Editorial position
NB: Flexible working options will be considered as part of this application. E.g. Job shares
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top