Director - US Payroll Operations
Reporting directly to the VP - Finance Transactional Processes, this role will work in partnership with existing out-sourced payroll function to successfully execute the payroll of approx 15,000 US employees and a number of International Assignees. Incumbent will be directly responsible for daily vendor management and the accuracy of the US payroll and tax processes. Direct the coordination of a complex multi-company, multi-jurisdictional payroll function.
- This role manages multiple payrolls with varying pay delivery frequencies by partnering and providing oversight to our payroll vendor.
- Responsibility includes payroll delivery, vendor management, operational effectiveness initiatives, service level metrics and management of end-to-end controls for payroll processes while also developing a team culture of continuous improvement
- Accountability for audit support, compliance support, service delivery excellence, governance with key business partners, driving process improvement and automation as well as staff development
- Provide consistently accurate, efficient, scalable, and cost-effective payroll services that exceed industry standard performance benchmarks while providing business value to our stakeholders.
- Analyze complex pay transactions (i.e. executive benefits, stock units, and international assignees) and identify issues that exist and work with various internal and vendor based operational teams to identify root cause of payroll system issues, assess risk and implement mitigation plans to minimize or eliminate future occurrence
- Design, develop, and implement payroll business processes, polices and work rules; and create and maintain payroll process repository
- Support proper segregation of duties, Sarbanes-Oxley controls, and internal self-audits.
- Foster an environment in which customer needs and requirements are anticipated and expectations are exceeded. Analyze actual data for trends, drivers and performance results against industry benchmarks to drive SLA compliance/quality improvement
- Proactively manages year-end payroll auditing, validation, and approval
- Ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal tax withholding, remittance and reporting responsibilities.
- Manage the third party vendor(s) that are responsible for the administration of the registration or closure of employment tax authorizations as well as the remittance and reporting of payroll tax.
- Work closely with appropriate teams to ensure appropriate tax withholding methodologies are applied to employee equity, non-cash compensation and supplemental compensation.
- Primary contact for payroll tax related issues, troubleshoot and resolve complex issues where considerable judgment is required.
- Manage vendor relationship(s) to deliver timely, accurate and compliant payroll
- Interpret company policies affecting payroll procedures and recommend enhancements as needed
- Ensure compliance with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Manage the various audits, such as employment tax audits and internal/external audits related to US Payroll
- Support vendor governance routines and ensure our vendors are meeting or exceeding contractual SLA's
- Ensure payroll transactions are properly classified and in compliance with general accounting principles, and audit requirements
- Manage staff engaged in the support of the vendor processing payroll, time and attendance, relevant deductions, and overall compliance; create an environment that is conducive to full performance; and ensure continuous training, and high morale
- Collaborate with Benefits, Compensation, Global Payroll and HR communities in the support of Business initiatives
- Regularly provide coaching and mentoring sessions that promotes employee performance and development, creating a motivational and rewarding environment of continuous learning & growth
- Minimum 10+ years relevant experience managing a US payroll operations team preferably in a medium to large, corporate environment with multi-jurisdictional payroll
- Expert knowledge of Payroll Tax and employment regulations
- Knowledge of Executive Compensation, equity and long term incentive processing requirements
- International Assignee processing requirements
- Knowledge of accounting, with a focus on payroll accounting
- Experience with internal controls aimed at reducing operational risk
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across teams and vendors
- Strong client service mentality; able to develop strong working relationships with team, internal partners and vendors to deliver high quality service
- Ability to successfully handle numerous priorities in a dynamic environment
- Experience mentoring and coaching a team
- Experience with Mergers and acquisitions as it relates to payroll
- Experience with Workday HR/Payroll/Time Reporting/Absence Management
- Experience with Shared Service and Regional Delivery models for payroll
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Designation is desired
- Advanced knowledge of MS productivity tools (MS Office); Word, PPT, Visio, and Excel
- Project Management mindset and experience
- Highly motivated, accountable and responsible
- Ability to research, identify and resolve complex payroll issues
- Understanding of international assignees and shadow payroll processing
- Some travel may be required
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 45,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Eagan-Minnesota-United States of America
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Software Engineer, Centre of Cognitive Computing
Lisa works with other engineers to develop products that are powered by artificial intelligence and capable of machine learning. She also conducts research to identify new uses for existing company data.
Back to top