Director - Research
Thomson Reuters is the Answer Company™. We provide authoritative content, advanced technologies and human expertise to help our customers find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Thomson Reuters is at the forefront of developing technology that will change how professionals access and use information by interacting with smart applications. The Center for Cognitive Computing is a newly formed team of scientists, engineers and designers focusing on the development of smart applications by applying and extending state of the art in natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, knowledge representation and reasoning, data mining, text analytics and human-computer interactions. We are also partnering with industry partners such as IBM Watson™ to leverage and adapt their technology.
We are looking for a candidate for a Director of Research position in our Toronto offices. This is both an individual contributor and leadership position. Successful candidate will have a proven track record developing state-of-the-art algorithms and capabilities in one or more of our research focus areas. Successful candidate will also have a track record managing teams of scientists and engineers and engaging business partners to identify and realize opportunities.
Successful candidate will have significant experience in one or more of the following areas: Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning (including Deep Learning), Question Answering, Text Mining, Information Retrieval, Distributional Semantics, and/or Discourse Modeling.
- Manage and mentor a small team of scientists and engineers on the design and development of information processing applications.
- Function as a member of the Center's leadership and help define and drive research and product agenda.
- Perform original research and extend state-of-the-art algorithms to our data and domains.
- Design, implement and validate algorithms at scale to solve challenging real world problems.
- Engagement & thought leadership
- Engage business partners to explore opportunities and help them transform concepts and ideas to concrete proposals.
- Function as a thought leader internally and externally through writing and presenting on relevant research topics especially as they relate to our business and industry.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, or related field preferred. At least 6 years of experience performing applied research to develop state of the art applications.
- Alternatively a Master's degree with at least 10 years of relevant industry experience as above.
- A proven track record managing teams of scientists and engineers in the context of applied research projects.
- Proficient programming skills in a high-level language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python, C/C , Perl, Matlab, R)
- Project-based experience with some of the following tools:
- Applied machine learning (e.g. libSVM, Shogun, Scikit-learn or similar)
- Deep Learning tools (e.g., Keras, Tensorflow, Theano, FastText or similar)
- Natural Language Processing (e.g., ClearTK, ScalaNLP/Breeze, ClearNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, or similar)
- Statistical data analysis and experimental design (e.g., using R, Matlab, iPython, etc.)
- Information retrieval and search engines, e.g. Solr/Lucene
- Distributed computing platforms, such as Hadoop (Hive, HBase, Pig), Spark, GraphLab
- Databases (traditional and noSQL)
- Must be a self-motivated, lifelong learner, who is passionate about turning new ideas into solutions for our customer
- Results-driven focus with the ability to prioritize deliverables that have the most significant, measurable impact
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top