Director, Development Operations
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of "answers for businesses and professionals drawing upon a deep reserve of technology capabilities, a strong customer focused mindset and massive collections of richly annotated information content. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
We seek a high-energy, motivated individual who combines exceptional technical credentials with a high degree of business acumen and proactive leadership agility for the position of Director, Development Operations. This role resides in the Enterprise Technology division of Thomson Reuters with a primary focus on our legal line of business. In this high impact role, you will materially shape the creation of flexible and powerful end to end technology solutions that can power a new breed of products focused on the needs of the legal market. You'll join a dynamic cross functional team utilizing state of the art development and quality assurance methodologies focused on agility and tight collaboration with business partners and key internal suppliers.
Specifically, you'll be responsible for crafting and driving robust strategies and processes to ensure the quality and integrity for the activities of mission critical development team powering some of the company's most important product offerings. In a fast paced, technology rich matrixed environment you'll drive teams to maximize the impact of emerging best practices such as devOps, test driven development, comprehensive continuous integration and deployment in both on-premises and cloud based environment. You'll also be responsible for shaping approaches to effectively measure, communicate and improve the velocity and quality of development for major customer facing offerings.
Partner with Product Development, Product Marketing, Operations, core Technology and others in creating "end to end" technology strategies that can ensure that our high customer expectations for quality and product integrity are met even in the face of fast moving and complex code bases.
Be an agent for change in the adoption and execution of a high velocity, flexible development methodologies that leverage agile approaches and foster tight collaboration with product owners.
Proactively share new technologies and best practices with our business unit partners, leading them to accurate understanding of the status of ongoing development and the impact each release will have on our customers.
Provide a strong shared vision that embodies the core values of Thomson Reuters and technology and lead by example by being proactive, biased towards action, personally accountable for results, demonstrating ethical behavior and fairness, soliciting and acting on feedback. The successful candidate will accomplish all this with a servant leadership mindset.
Commit relentlessly to the identification and development of talent within the company by providing mentoring, career guidance, training opportunities and immediate, specific and on-point feedback throughout the year to members of the team and the leadership. Hold the technology team to the highest standards and drive them towards perpetually greater competency. Encourage the flow of high potential team members to other opportunities within the company where they can make even greater contributions.
Harness the power and potential of our large enterprise through eager participation in key division wide initiatives focused on technology, talent and the customer.
Partner closely with colleagues throughout all aspects of the legal technology function (e.g. content, delivery, operations) as well as elements of the broader technology enterprise.
- A four-year degree in Computer Sciences or a related field is mandatory. In addition, formal education in business/management or a master's level degree is strongly preferred.
- 12 years of software engineering experience, at least 8 years of which is in a management capacity.
- A demonstrated record of leadership ability with proven experience exercising leadership in an empowered manner drawing upon a broad toolset of capabilities. Demonstrating intelligence, empathy and courage to innovatively face complex problem sets.
- Previous experience working in a matrixed organization. A diversity of experiences in multiple companies and disciplines is strongly preferred. Specifically, experience leading at a senior level both development and quality assurance teams a strong plus.
- A well established track record of overseeing large-scale development projects that center on emerging, unproven or otherwise complex technologies. A history of meeting or exceeding aggressive deadlines in uncertain environments is a key selection criterion. Familiarity with agile development approaches is also required.
- Possess strong technical skills centered on SAAS application development and testing including experience with automation toolsets, agile testing approaches and the ability to clearly visualize the integrity of a development effort so that business partner can make informed decisions. Leadership of cloud related development is a plus.
- Broad and deep business acumen and experience related to the information publishing industry with a focus on the legal market.
- Proven skills in forming and developing high performing technical teams that demonstrate excellence in a dynamic environment with a high degree of flexibility and accountability
- Very strong interpersonal and communications skills including both oral and written proficiency. Must be able create strong high trust partnerships with business stakeholders. The ability to present complex technical topics to a non-technical audience is mandatory.
- Given the fluid and high velocity nature of our work, it is essential to have highly developed listening skills and a keen competency at drawing out of others the essential message they aim to deliver.
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top