We are the leading source of intelligent information for global businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Development Manager
Business Unit: Finance and Risk
Product or Service:
Risk is a fast-growing Thomson Reuters Segment, this is a very exciting opportunity to join a business in an innovative and rapidly evolving industry. It focuses on connecting our customers' business to the ever-changing regulatory and risk environment.
- You will be responsible for leading a group of software engineers. We need an individual who can help each individual team member to perform to their optimum ability. You will work closely with the Director of Development, Architects and Developers to release high-quality software and deliver value to the business. You will have line management responsibilities setting goals and providing growth-enabling performance reviews.
- You will follow agile principles, values and practices and have experience of employing Scrum.
- Understanding security is most important, as is a solid understanding of high quality software engineering principles. You'll use this knowledge to ensure that the team is delivering robust software in an efficient manner with commitment to 'building in' software quality using automated testing techniques of all relevant types; guiding the team to a Test First, Test Driven approach.
- Understanding the architectural direction and tech strategy of the enterprise is critical; keeping current with internal and external architectural principles and driving a culture of limited optionality using appropriate existing platforms, services, components and patterns for architectural choices.
- You will understand system performance at a macro and micro level, designing for required performance, diagnosing performance problems in the architecture and in the code.
- You understand how to design systems for availability – with automated failover, and for scale.
- You will deploy the developed systems in the public cloud (AWS). It is necessary to understand to an appropriate level the services available on the AWS platform and to keep track of emerging, relevant technologies.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- All technology staff are required to prioritise service availability.
- Deliver, to quality standards, agreed sprint outcomes according to an agreed plan.
- Communicate with other management, developers, product managers and technical support specialists on product issues.
- Advocate and actively share work improvements across the team members and departments. Identify and remove impediments, prevent distractions.
- Set and effectively communicate team and department goals.
- Provide frequent, clear feedback to development team members.
- Organize and facilitate capacity management, space/resource planning, recruitment and technology alignment activities.
- Track and communicate progress on personal goals.
- Maintain process documentation as needed.
- Create environment and culture to aid the development teams in practicing the core agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability, and visibility.
- Work with architects, developers and dev ops to release and deliver software on a regular cycle.
- Ensure team members have the technical skills and training to accomplish software development goals.
- Provide procedures and staffing to maintain applications developed by the department.
- Participate enthusiastically in developing and maintaining team standards, tools, and practices.
- Facilitate discussion and conflict resolution, empower self-organization of the team.
- Assist group members with their career, skill growth and frequent feedback on their performance. Provide actionable feedback and discuss improvement targets during yearly performance reviews.
- Director of Third Party Risk (reporting to)
- Other Risk Tech Development Teams
- F&R Platform Tech Development Teams
- Third Party Risk Product Team
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrate drive and commitment to the creation and delivery of next generation platforms to support risk technology
- Takes ownership for the development technologies and services, representing the development work to the product management function
- Understands criticality of service provision to the customer, takes preventative steps, and responds immediately and with urgency to service issues
- Creativity and innovation: maintain an innovative mindset whilst operating with a set of defined communication processes. Challenge the teams to deliver continuous improvements to process, development practice, quality assurance automation and coverage and overall efficiency supported by the appropriate metrics.
- Customer centric. Promote a customer awareness culture within the team. Foster innovation and encourage staff to think differently in finding solutions to delight customers;
- Drive execution in a complex organization: Anticipates and probes issues and contingencies with the early involvement of others, creating a culture that translates strategies into specific goals, tactics, action plans and work. Drives accountability and makes timely decisions and tough calls on enterprise issues and opportunities;
- Delivery: Ability to understand the business and practices of a global organization and to deliver to demands with agility to meets customer demands. Accountable to ensure technology is aligned with product architecture both existing and future strategy;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills: (market analysis, requirements definition, competitive analysis, etc.);
- Solid team player with experience of working with global teams from different functions/regions;
- Highly collaborative with shown ability to quickly establish trust and credibility; demonstrates confidence to navigate the matrix and identify key partners and their respective needs
- Communication: Ability to communicate confidently and concisely to both technologists and non technologists. Demonstrable ability to translate the vision/strategy into clear priorities and direction;
- Build talent;
- Demonstrate, and promote to their team, commercial awareness;
- Strong alignment and collaboration with Technology Leads, Product and Proposition teams. Proven communicator to influence Technology, Product and Customer Facing teams
- Part of global high performing teams
- Demonstrable experience using formal software engineering tools and methodologies, including design, development, testing, etc
- Articulates technical and non-technical information effectively to multiple audiences and levels. Demonstrates active listening
- Appreciates and drives improvements in the organization as well as the impacts and consequences of those changes
- Ability to anticipate and identify threats and opportunities, and create innovative strategies
- Able to inspire their team
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience of Cloud, especially AWS, development and Architecture
- Third Party Risk management software.
- Experience in Risk management concepts.
- Experience of company compliance/sourcing specialist roles.
- Experience of workflow / survey tools.
- A good relevant degree is desirable, but experience and the right approach to work are just as important.
- Java certification is desirable but not required.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top