Job description for Development Manager
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Dev Manager to take on a team working on AWS Public Cloud technologies delivering the next generation platforms for the Financial & Risk business unit.
Manages technical teams for software development and focal point for development issues across a development-wide program, liasing with business stakeholders located in different regions and prioritizing projects and timelines.
The successful candidate will be an excellent People manager, and have demonstrated great coaching and building of high performance teams in previous roles.
- Accountable for the successful execution of technology projects including support and maintenance releases, minor functional releases and major products.
- Executes on technology strategies.
- Primary area of influence is within own team and some influence on other teams.
- Works with third parties to ensure delivery of outsourced work, resolves application issues, and understand product direction in order to support and implement where appropriate.
- Evaluates and makes decisions on engagement of strategic suppliers.
- Leads and manages the day-to-day activities of their team including supporting career development of team (objective setting, performance management, etc.)
- Manages and supervises one or more small teams.
- Serves as departmental focal point for staff issues, HR initiatives and requirements.
- Implements and models a work culture that promotes development and retention of high quality staff.
- Implements a customer-aware culture for their team, ensuring close working relationships with Product, Project Management, Technical Operations etc
- Liaises with other technical development areas for cross assignments and exchange of staff and encourages staff movement in line with business and/or career development needs.
- Participates in recruitment efforts for responsible technology team.
- Accountable for delivery across multiple projects/products by providing guidance and support to project leads to assist in removing project impediments.
- Ensures fidelity and feasibility of all projects plans and estimates.
- Allocates and schedules resources in line with overall team, resolves conflicts, and prioritizes projects to meet the needs of the business.
- Optimizes project deliverables to ensure that technology design fits with existing product architecture and technology strategy.
- Manages bid process for new business to established standards, including detailed investigations into requirements, prioritization, scheduling and budgets.
- Creates trust and credibility with stakeholders/user community and works with them to identify issues and risks that may impact them.
- Creates an environment and workflow that ensures proactive identification of change to prevent problems, including problem resolution workflow.
- Creates an environment and a culture that encourages immediate response to problems and sets expectations and timeframe for resolution with customers or groups managing customers, and manages escalated issues.
- Participates in problem resolution recommendation for escalated issues.
- Provides timely status updates for areas of team responsibilities within projects potentially including senior leaders, initiating escalation when necessary.
- Adept at all aspects of technical communications, including using presentations technologies (e.g. WebEx, PowerPoint) and software demonstrations.
- Encourages two-way communication with staff, peers, and business partners.
- May contribute to the creation and execution of the communication plans.
- Communicates across virtual teams and a globally diverse environment.
- Contributes to compliance requirements and other governance measures.
- Ensures self and team develop modules using disciplined processes, adhering to team/company standards and best practice guidelines, and corporate policies.
- Ensures internal Service Level Agreements (SLAs) or other such agreements for third party support with technical areas are met.
- Strong project management background and demonstrable experience as a technical team leader and/or development manager is a must.
- Experience of managing large teams (10 ) with 3 years Team Leader experience, and ability to coach and train the team to improve and become more agile in their thinking and processes.
- 8 years of industry experience.
- Good English reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- 5 years C or Java programming experience.
- 3 years working with Relational Databases such as Oracle, SqlServer.
- 3 years running an Agile and Scrum orientated team.
Desired Skills (Nice to have):
- Public Cloud Skills on AWS.
- Knowledge of running Agile/Scrum teams.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top