FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business, is the legal industry's most effective provider of client development services. FindLaw provides law firms with online legal marketing solutions to generate new business through the web and uses technology to systematically build stronger, more profitable relationships with existing clients.
FindLaw is seeking a Copy Editor. The Copy Editor will review marketing website copy and content for other FindLaw products to ensure the text is free of errors, accurate and readable. This includes:
- Correcting grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Checking text to ensure it is logically written, well-structured and engaging for the intended audience
- Ensuring text follows the house style (AP Style)
- Assessing factual accuracy and readability
The Copy Editor will be tasked with enforcing the tenets of FindLaw's style guide: AP Style, with appropriate deviations made to meet the needs of the business, the preferences of our clients and the flexibility of online marketing. The Copy Editor will work within online workflow management systems and will additionally resolve content-related defects identified through the QA process.
The Copy Editor will communicate with other editors, writers, project managers and others to ensure quality and resolve problems. He or she will work directly with the team lead, other editors, copywriters and project managers on special projects, as assigned. These may include:
- Auditing vendors' work for adherence to product specification
- Training writers on new techniques and style updates
- Working with internal teams to pilot and roll out new products and processes
- Other duties as assigned by team lead
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Key qualifications include:
- Excellent written English skills and demonstrated understanding of AP Style
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye toward detail
- A task-oriented and deadline-driven approach with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously on tight deadlines and with strict production goals
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in journalism or English required
- The ability to complete work using the redline function in Microsoft Word and similar services
- Familiarity with standard PC-based business systems, including Microsoft Office suite
Preferred qualifications include:
- Familiarity with additional style guides, such as the Chicago Manual of Style, APA, MLA or The Economist
- Familiarity with online marketing principles, trends and concepts
- Familiarity with website production through Wordpress
At least one year of professional writing or copyediting experience required. All candidates will be required to complete a thorough copyediting exam as part of their consideration for hiring.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
"According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2017 fiscal year (October 1, 2016-September 30, 2017)."
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top