Chief UK/European Correspondent, Financial Regulation and Compliance
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Title: Chief UK/European correspondent, financial regulation and compliance
Department: Regulatory Intelligence Editorial
Position Reports to: Managing Editor, Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence, Enterprise Risk Management, Risk, F&R
The UK chief correspondent for financial regulation and compliance will provide news coverage of the key developments in financial services regulation and compliance for Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence.
Thomson Reuters is a global leader in providing essential information to the world's businesses and professionals in Law, Financial Services, Tax & Accounting, Media, Healthcare and Scientific Research. With our deep expertise and understanding of these professions, we are able to offer our customers a broad range of innovative products and services. The relevant, insightful information and intuitive supporting systems we provide enable our customers to be successful. Thomson Reuters has operations in 93 countries around the globe.
Enterprise Risk Management is a fast-growing Thomson Reuters business. It focuses on connecting our customers' business to the ever-changing regulatory environment, and client groups includes compliance, audit, legal and risk functions in financial services, law firms, accounting firms, regulators, insurance, energy and other industries undergoing regulatory change. The business has revenues of more than $150 million and has more than 1,200 employees located in major locations in London, New York, Washington D.C., Minnesota, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney. It is the world's largest dedicated GRC group and has over 10,000 customers. Industry expectations are that governance, risk and compliance market will grow rapidly worldwide over the next few years, and the creation of this business unit positions will enable Thomson Reuters to strongly take advantage of these increasing opportunities. The business is expected to grow at double digits or more over the next five years.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Write articles ranging from brief spot news alerts to feature reports based on extensive research and insights into financial services regulation and the compliance profession. Articles primarly are for a specialist audience of compliance and risk management professionals through subscription based solutions.
- Main beat responsibilities include securities regulation, enforcement, retail financial services, risk management and prudential regulation.
- Use social media and public appearances to promote Thomson Reuters Accelus editorial expertise.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Extensive knowledge of the financial services industry and duties of financial services compliance officers.
- Extensive knowledge of UK and European financial services regulations and regulatory process.
- Ability to analyse and interpret the impact and implications of regulatory developments and communicate these clearly in writing and verbally to internal and external customers.
- Computer literacy with knowledge of Web content management systems.
- News writing and editing experience on daily deadlines.
- Professional experience in covering financial services compliance, law or financial markets regulation.
- Working knowledge of PC and Internet applications and terminology
- Professional experience in using social media to develop and promote stories.
- Public speaking and/or broadcast experience helpful
- Demonstrated strong reporting, writing and editing skills are a must.
- Excellent command of grammar and editorial style.
- Ability to develop a broad stable of influential news sources within the financial services industry and government regulatory agencies
- Ability to apply news judgement in allocating priorities
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Good listening skills; problem solving and the ability to handle multiple journalism projects is necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Thomson Reuters products and services
- Experience working in a global matrix environment
- Bachelor's degree with extensive experience in financial journalism. An advanced professional degree in law, business, finance or related field is preferable.
Salary according to experience
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Madlyn works with business leaders at Thomson Reuters to ensure all employees are engaged and operating as efficiently as possible in their respective positions.
Back to top