Automation Systems Architect
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position Title: Automation Systems Architect
Business Unit: ET&O, reporting to Enterprise network Technology but aligned to the Enterprise Architecture team responsible for wide area networking
Product or Service: Network connectivity services – Enterprise-wide
The Omega Programme will transform Thomson Reuters (TR's) global connectivity capabilities to take advantage of innovation within the networking industry, enable new forms of high speed connectivity that meet TR's requirements to drive radical simplification and exploit the scale efficiencies of becoming an increasingly cloud-centric enterprise while integrating proprietary facilities into a seamless hybrid platform. The Omega programme will deliver much improved price points for network connectivity and create connectivity services agility, rapid instantiation, and visibility through new service and platform automation systems that underpin the full lifecycle of Omega connectivity services.
The Omega Service Automation Systems Architect has accountability for the architecture of the automation systems that will interact with (i) the Omega network platform and (ii) other enterprise automation, orchestration and configuration systems to enable and underpin this transformation. This is an Enterprise Network Technology (ENT) role with a functional reporting line to the Omega Architecture lead, which will require close collaboration with the wider TR architecture community (network, data centre, cloud, business systems, and service), with TR's selected third party consulting partner(s), and with Omega development, design and engineering teams (both third parties and internal resources) to ensure a consistent and coherent approach to service lifecycle management solution development in line with the overall Omega Solution Roadmap.
This role is critical to the success of ENT's Connectivity Services Transformation 2.0 which will deliver an agile, assured and orchestrated connectivity platform to drive simplified, fully automated connectivity services to the business, delivering fast time to market, improved service uptime, performance, security and reduced cost.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
The Automation Systems Architect Role:
- Is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the target automation systems vision and architecture to ensure that it meets the phased requirements of the Omega programme and leverages the most appropriate up-to-date network orchestration and configuration technologies
- Maintains the key touch point with selected third parties commissioned to deliver the Omega automation systems architecture including directing third party deliverables, responding to questions as required, and facilitating a holistic TR response across relevant groups
- Collaborates closely with, takes input from, and gains consensus from various TR architecture, design, engineering and service teams to help formulate vision and architecture, including:
- WAN Architecture team which has derived the network platform vision including aspects of the automation systems architecture and the interaction of these systems with the network platform
- Enterprise Tool Engineering which is defining the set of tools required to run Data Centre and Cloud based services some of which will form part of or interact with the automation systems solution for the Omega network transformation
- Data Centre Architecture, Cloud Architecture, and LAN Architecture teams
- Collaborating across functions to enable a "NetOps" approach to Omega operations
- Defines a pragmatic iterative/phased approach to automation systems development, integration, and deployment that integrates with the network platform element as platform capability is developed in a phased manner, and deployed to meet the needs of the business
- Provides architectural guidance to the overall development and integration programme including:
- Scope of TR's automation systems stack(s) and sub-components, either in or out of the proposed solution, including order management, service visibility, resource management systems, traditional OSS, etc.
- Scope of new functions to be developed
- Definition of Information model and data models to support the solution
- Business process flows
- API's/interactions within the solution and with the surrounding existing/planned TR automation systems stack
- Identify further opportunities to extend/enhance the solution based on information obtained from network platform vendors, systems vendors, systems integrators, best practice amongst service providers
- Communicates Omega automation systems architecture and technical requirements, and provides ongoing guidance, to the development teams in a way that supports the iterative agile development principles of the Omega Programme
- Collaborates with the Omega progamme team including ENT Accountable Proposition Owners (APOs) to ensure that the elaboration and development of the Omega automation systems architecture meets the solution requirements and is aligned with other TR architectural components and strategies
- Works with the network architects, the service architect and selected third parties to elaborate and develop the 'end state' Omega automation systems architecture in line with solution requirements into technical (functional and non-functional) requirements for the agile, phased development of the Omega solutions
- Defines architectural and technical standards and tools, to be used by development teams in developing automation systems for Omega, that promote rapid incremental delivery of capability
- Working with the Omega Programme team, helps oversee and quality assure the automation systems development and test activities and the solution deliverables ensuring that architectural and other technical requirements are met
- Monitors and assures that architectural integrity is maintained as automation solutions are iteratively delivered in line with the Omega Solution Roadmap
- Provides strategic direction, architectural oversight & ensures alignment and/or integration with traditional OSS/NMS systems teams where necessary
- Provides advice, support and technical assurance to other members of the Thomson Reuters Omega team and to partners as appropriate
The role maintains a number of key relationships. Internally, these relationships are chiefly with colleagues in Enterprise Network Technology and more widely with colleagues working on operational support systems across ET&O. Externally, relationships will be established and maintained with third party partners for the architecture, design and development of service automation systems in support of the Omega programme. There will also be some interaction with colleagues working on non-Omega systems and tools supporting older network services and platforms.
Essential Skills and Experience:
The individual must be experienced in leading the conception and development of complex, distributed, business-critical automation systems related to network connectivity services.
The individual will probably have spent significant time in the development and architecture of complex software automation systems. More specifically, essential skills and experience include:
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, both written and verbal and often involving matrix management of resources
- Strong commitment to customer service and improving the customer experience while driving innovation and transformation
- Proven ability to manage large, complex issues related to the automation and orchestration of connectivity services, defining pragmatic solution roadmaps that meet phased business objectives as well as the envisioned transformation end-state
- Proven ability to build and maintain strategic relationships across the organization and also with outside vendors and partners responsible for providing technology solutions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- The individual may have domain professional qualifications relating to software architectures or telecommunications industry standard architectures relating to telecoms operational support systems.
- Experience working in a global matrix environment is an advantage
The individual will be educated to degree level or beyond, typically in Computer Science or similar technical discipline.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top