Asia Oil & Gas Correspondent
Asia Oil & Gas Correspondent
Reuters News Operations
Thomson Reuters provides professionals with the intelligence, technology and human expertise they need to find trusted answers. We enable professionals in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, and media markets to make the decisions that matter most, all powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Reuters is looking for a driven, experienced energy journalist to report on Asia's huge and fast growing energy markets. Focusing on crude oil and natural gas markets, this is a high profile position covering the region's rapidly growing fuel consumption and the emergence of new global trading powerhouses.
This is an exciting opportunity for a reporter comfortable writing in a variety of formats. The reporter will be expected to produce in-depth stories about the impact of OPEC's crude supply cuts, the emergence of Asia's liquefied natural gas (LNG) market, the rise of electric vehicles, and the changing trade flows as the United States becomes a top crude producer. He or she will also be expected to turn around fast spot stories in a highly competitive news environment.
The role requires a drive to engage directly with participants of an often opaque market in order to develop and maintain relevant contacts. Beyond the ability to deliver fast and clear copy, the job also requires ease of handling/analyzing data as well as cooperating with the multi-media team including graphics, pictures and TV.
- Write daily market reports covering Asian oil and gas markets. The role requires closely monitoring physical cargo movements and setting daily crude oil prices. It also requires covering Asia's financial emerging oil and gas markets.
- Develop sources and break news ahead of competition in a highly competitive environment.
- Develop a deep market knowledge needed to identify and report out market-moving themes and trends.
- Some regional travel may be required to cover industry events.
- At least three years of experience reporting energy or commodity markets.
- Proven ability to break news fast and reliably.
- Willingness to engage with market participants in order to build up and maintain relevant contacts. This includes cold-calling trading desks, attending industry events, and meeting sources directly.
- Comfort with maintaining and using databases to generate data-driven stories.
- Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy.
- Excellent written English; knowledge of Asian languages preferential.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We'll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Meet Some of Thomson Reuters's Employees
Producer, Facebook Live
Stephanie creates innovative video copy for live Facebook feeds, working with reporters right in the office, as well as those stationed all around the world.
Back to top