If you are a self-motivated, hands on individual that enjoys working in a loud, industrial environment The Washington Post production facility needs you. Join our team as a Utility Worker in our pressroom. Our Utility Workers support the press team by ensuring that our presses are cleaned, maintained, and ready to run on a daily basis. This position is an entry level role for our innovative fast paced printing atmosphere and can be a stepping stone to other position within the pressroom.
Springfield, VA Location
Production / Warehouse Environment
NOT metro accessible
SCHEDULE: 24/7 operation shifts may rotate and are picked by seniority
Must be able to work all shifts
• Keeping press room floors and walls free of debris such as paper, ink, and rags;
• Emptying waste carts in Press room and Reel room;
• Cleaning external surfaces, lights, and brackets of printing presses,
• Sweeping and mopping decks of printing presses;
• Mopping floors and operating floor scrubbers;
• Operating mule in order to drain ink sumps;
• Manually scrap and wash dirty ink buckets;
• Handle chemicals in accordance with proper safety procedures;
• Act as back up in assisting with machine operation; including moving rolls of newsprint, prepping newsprint, stacking newspaper bundles, sorting, stripping, bundling and shipping of cores, and operating various types of production machinery in a safe manner;
• Operating the JBT system
• Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to work in a safe manner around heavy equipment efficiently and effectively;
- Ability to shift priorities and perform duties based on changing demands of pressroom;
- Communicates effectively with supervisor and co-workers when issues or concerns arise;
- Reliable transportation and the ability to work various shifts;
- Ability to perform physical duties that require bending, climbing ladders, kneeling, lifting, pushing, reaching and walking;
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Work with minimal supervision;
- 1-2 years experience preferred in a fast-paced, deadline-orientated manufacturing environment.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow?