Senior Product Manager (Homepage)
- Washington, DC
The Washington Post is seeking a Senior Product Manager to join our Product team to focus on our website, washingtonpost.com.
This team builds new products and features for The Washington Post's site and develops internal tools to help journalists, with a focus on enhancing the reading experience, enabling content discovery, building a community and deepening our relationship with our audience. We partner closely with Product Design, Engineering, News, Advertising, Marketing and other business units to deliver ongoing value for our readers.
This Senior Product Manager will play a key part in defining the product strategy of our homepage and section fronts, and will work closely with engineers, designers and editors to ship and iterate on new features and functionality on a high-profile surface.
The ideal candidate is an experienced product owner with a history of shipping and iterating high-visibility consumer products in a fast-paced environment. Excellent communication and organization skills, interdisciplinary collaboration, and a strong bias for action are required. You should be a Web expert who understands how to decompose and prioritize business and design requirements into something accomplishable by a team of engineers. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively to solve business, product, and technical challenges and lift blockers at all levels of an organization.
- Develop, execute and maintain a transparent, strategic road map for your products.
- Lead prioritization on an ongoing basis by clearly articulating user problems, delivery timelines, trade offs, objectives and key results for various initiatives.
- Partner with stakeholders, design and engineering to identify and actualize new features for our site products, including tools, templates and integrations with other products (native apps, email platform, subscriptions platform).
- Translate feature ideas into actionable product requirements and user stories for designers and engineers. Work with the development teams to clarify stories and provide detail needed to estimate and execute on planned work.
- Test products at various stages of development to ensure seamless roll outs for our users.
- Monitor and analyze key performance metrics to measure the impact of new features and unearth insights about how the products are being used, using the feedback to inform and adapt road maps.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years experience as Product Manager or Product Owner in media or consumer-facing online applications.
- Experience with or a strong interest in the news business. You must have a passion for connecting users with information and a desire to work in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Experience analyzing customer feedback, user research, and performance data to guide product feature development.
- Working knowledge of Agile methodologies, process and principles and experience with planning and workflow software such as Jira and Confluence.
- Strong organizational, creative problem-solving, and collaborative skills.
- Proven ability to interact effectively at all levels within an organization, including executive and C-level.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic, collaborative group environment and under deadline pressures.
- Familiarity with iOS and Android product development a plus.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow?
Back to top