The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Senior Data Engineer who will develop tools and infrastructure to empower the newsroom with insights and data. You will be an important force in bolstering the newsroom's data capacities as we continue to expand our use of data and increase our focus on our audience and what's known about them.
We are looking for a full-stack data engineer who will be primarily responsible for building, enhancing and maintaining new and current data products that drive audience analytics and insights. You should have thought leadership when approaching technical challenges and an ability to mentor more junior team members.
As a member of the News Insight team, you will work closely with our data scientists, editors and strategy leads as we build internal data products for the newsroom. Day-to-day collaboration will happen with other data engineers within News Insights and Dow Jones' DataSET team. Importantly, you will work directly with other engineers, product managers and program managers who collectively work on our internal data products.
You will report to the Chief of Data Science, who leads our News Insights team. While you may be asked to start work remotely, the job will eventually be based in our New York office.
- Unlock new datasets and data assets, and create and maintain data pipelines
- Deploy data and insights to editors in the newsroom
- Work closely with data scientists to enable the training, deployment, monitoring and maintenance of machine learning models
- Strong familiarity and experience with ingestion, streaming and batch processing, data infrastructure design and data analytics
- Top-notch understanding of basic statistics and issues surrounding data quality
- Experience building infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from diverse data resources
- Experience running and supporting production of enterprise data platforms
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Experience building data pipelines in AWS (preferred) or GCP
- Proficiency in Scala, Python, Bash, Git, Spark and SQL
- Three or more years of data engineering experience
- Experience working with digital media content tracking across websites and mobile applications is preferred
- Exposure to, or direct experience with, implementing machine-learning-driven product features or tools will set you apart as a candidate
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: IT Development Group
Non-Union / No clear and likely Internal Candidate (Employee Only) has been identified
Req ID: 24926