Team Manager (User Experience, Software Engineering, & Quality Assurance)
The Team Manager (TM) is a working manager with a design, software, testing, or other production background who is also responsible for leading and managing a cross functional team of production employees in professional growth, engagement, problem resolution, team building, productivity, alignment and performance management. The TM leads from the front while actively working with clients in a production role as well as a leadership role. The TM also works with project managers, Resourcing Department, their peers, and their leadership to ensure their employees are assigned to appropriate project work and their small team hits its utilization goal.
The Team Manager acts as an advocate for their production employees. This entails, but is not limited to the education and management of individual performance in accordance with company policies, the facilitation of 1:1 meetings, as necessary, and performance reviews and advocacy for internal escalation issues. Additionally the TM plays a key role in talent acquisition through active participation in the recruiting and on-boarding process.
A TM must have initiative, a positive attitude, and strong team building skills in order to successfully anticipate obstacles, effectively communicate and establishes next steps while constantly seeing opportunities to act and make a difference. A TM must embody the The Nerdery’s Core Values and unique culture in an effort to help support the continued company vision by sharing their knowledge and experience with the TM and leadership team through collaboration, group work, and peer review.
- Understand and clearly communicate company and team goals to both teams and leadership within the organization.
- Build relationships at all levels at the organization
- Support the company's direction, vision and values and service based company model
- Provide guidance and follow-up on productivity and personal growth
- Resolve and escalate (when needed) team member issues
- Foster a culture of engagement and lead team by example by bringing energy and enthusiasm to work every day
- Performance management, including 1:1s and performance reviews.
- Work with clients to understand business needs and create technical solutions
- Review and intake design assets from our partners and provide feedback on the technical implications
- Document key aspects of a project for the client, and other team members
- Maintain and/or exceed team productivity goals determined by leadership and consistently deliver results
- Collaborate with Resourcing to assign team members to appropriate work, support business development efforts, and forecast capacity
- Performance reporting
- Team hiring forecasting & support of talent acquisition
- Partner with team mentors to provide technical feedback and leadership to other team members
- Timesheet Validation
- Software/Hardware Requests
- Workspace Accommodations
- Education and Execution of Company Policies
Participate in Branch, Department, or Company Goals & Initiatives
- Supervise staff and make personnel decisions.
- Qualified Designer, Software Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer or other production discipline of your small team.
- Understanding of general software development life cycle including project management, design methodologies, development methodology, and testing/quality assurances methodologies.
- Effectively communicate issues and recommendations and to respond directly to questions from business partners.
- Evaluate employee performance and ensure employees are set up for success.
- Create a climate of collaboration and teamwork among team and internal partners, helping team members build trusted relationships and achieve business objectives.
- Quickly adapt as the situation changes, and work well in group problem-solving situations.
- Systematic approach to problem solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively present information.
- Organized, detail oriented, and great at follow-through.
- Manage difficult or emotionally-charged situations.
- Multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, IT or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Technical savvy – ability to understand the developer’s situation, challenges, needs and work expectations.
- Experience in managing, leading, or working closely with developers (3+ years).
- Experience with direct supervision of employees, preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
See Inside the Office of The Nerdery
Founded in 2003, The Nerdery is a developer driven interactive production shop, partnering with advertisers, marketers, and other creatives to build award-winning interactive projects. The Nerdery was founded by three developers and has exploded into a fast growing company, working collaborative to deliver top results—and be the best place in the world for nerds to work.
Back to top