The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
Our Engineering team is core to our success, and we’re looking for a VP Engineering to help us bring our product suite to the next level. Reporting directly to the CTO, you will be responsible for working with the Product and Engineering leadership team to develop the technical and product strategy that impacts the millions of people who interact with our content and tools every month. You will be responsible for the technical execution of the product vision, as well as the ongoing team and performance management of the Engineering teams that work on those products. You’ll be responsible for technical and career mentorship of our Engineering team in conjunction with the Engineering leadership team, as well as co-own the technical roadmap and drive research into new technologies and platforms that we can leverage to push our platform even further.
Your responsibilities fall into three major categories:
Technical and Operational Execution: You’ll be responsible for setting KPIs and metrics to measure the performance and progress of the Engineering team, defining and implementing processes to drive execution, estimation, and project planning, as well as driving the definition of technical standards and practices. You will be the primary technical owner of product delivery, working with our Product Management team and the rest of the organization to ensure timely, high-quality releases.
Strategic Vision: Working with the CTO and SVP Product (as well as the rest of the executive team), you’ll be a key part of defining what success looks like and how we can get there. You’ll be involved in creating roadmaps, defining the operational parameters of products and initiatives, and will work with cross-functional groups around the organization as a trusted advisor to improve the strategic use of technology around the organization.
Team Management: You’ll be responsible for building and managing the Engineering team, across our product, platform, and data teams. You’ll be responsible for recruiting and hiring for our team (not just as a direct hiring manager, but as the main hiring manager for all of Engineering), fostering and driving the evolution our team culture, and mentoring and leading our Engineers.
In addition, as part of our overall leadership team, you’ll be involved in creating the overall messaging and strategy across the company, communicating and reinforcing strategic initiatives and performance, and being one of the leaders that influences the overall company culture.
How you'll make an impact
- You’ll take our Engineering team to the next level, hiring new team members and growing our Engineers to their highest potential, both as individuals and as a team.
- You’ll build new features that help millions of people curate their careers and find better jobs.
- You’ll help make sure our technology and processes are always up to date, and have the opportunity to drive the impact of our team outside of our walls and into many great tools in the open source community.
- You’ll provide management, mentorship and guidance on the best ways to design and implement new functionality on our products.
- You’ll work with product managers, designers, and other engineers to turn product ideas and concepts into reality.
- You'll be a key voice in our technical and product roadmap.
Why we'll love you
- You are a strong Engineer AND Manager, with experience building production-quality web applications yourself and managing teams to do the same.
- You are confident in your skills with technologies across the web stack. And though we use Python, React, AWS, and Postgres, we’re happy to learn about and utilize your experience with other platforms and stacks.
- You’ve managed managers and teams that have different skills and experiences than you, and are comfortable being the driving and unifying force behind cross-functional execution.
- You like to move fast – our team uses continuous integration and deployment, infrastructure as code, and iterative management practices – but also know when to slow down, plan thoroughly, and be more deliberate, and can communicate this effectively to the team.
- You have a good balance of practicality and aggressiveness when evaluating technical decisions - we’re not afraid to consider and use new tools and technologies, but also want to consider the long term impact of our decisions.
- You are committed to quality! Someone who’s willing to tackle technical debt, encourage others to do the same, and constantly evolve our processes to keep us on our toes.
- Like us, you’re all about cross team mentorship and professional growth.
- You enjoy recruiting and hiring, and have experience doing both across a large and diverse team.
Why you'll love us
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Back to top