Senior Product Designer
- New York, NY
The Muse is a values-based job search platform used by over 70 million people annually to connect with companies and find a career that matches their values. Founded in 2011, we were named one of Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World. We have a highly diverse userbase of Millennial & Gen Z jobseekers who we help connect with companies as wide-ranging as Apple, Nike and the FBI, on the strength of those companies’ values, cultures, and employee experiences. Our users come to TheMuse.com for original career advice from prominent experts, access to the best coaches, and a behind-the-scenes look at job opportunities. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
The Muse is seeking a user-centric and data-driven Senior Product Designer to oversee our organization’s consumer-facing design strategy, research, and execution. Reporting directly to the head of Product, the Senior Product Designer will own all consumer-facing designs — including company profiles, job search, and advice content — upon which tens of millions of job-seekers rely every year for career guidance.
- Working closely with your squad’s dedicated Senior Product Manager, Tech Lead, engineers, and stakeholders, you’ll design and maintain a suite of products and features that drive both user delight and business value.
- Ownership: You will own the company’s Candidate-facing designs, improving upon existing products and conceiving new ones.
- Design Process: You’ll refine our methodology for conceiving, executing, releasing, and maintaining The Muse user experience.
- UX Strategy: You’ll own your squad’s product-design roadmap and other strategic artifacts, such as customer journey maps, user flows, and personas.
- Collaboration: You will gather requirements and input from members of your team as well as from other internal stakeholders, particularly Content and Marketing.
- Design System: To ensure design and dev process efficiency, you will create, organize, and maintain patterns in a design system.
- User Research: You’ll develop a sustainable qualitative research plan that garners ongoing insights from our Millennial and Gen-Z job-seekers; you’ll leverage our robust suite of quantitative data to make informed design decisions.
- Mentorship: You’ll hone our organization’s design acumen by coaching other designers, stakeholders, and squad members on design process, philosophy, and execution.
- Execution: You’ll deliver to market design that elevates The Muse brand and bring career development to the next level.
Skills & Traits
- You have several years’ experience in managing the entire design process for your products, from concept to design execution. This includes customer journey, user research, information architecture, wireframes, user flows, and interface/interaction design.
- Predictability: You have a road-tested process that will help your team get to the right answer, faster.
- Problem-Focused: You can adeptly identify problems worth solving, and you help the team stay focused on the problem throughout the product-design process.
- Empathy: Whether a job seeker, an employer, or a Muse staffer, your process puts the user at the center of the design and ensures that real, human needs are being met.
- Transparency: You communicate seamlessly across the entire org to include all key stakeholders in your process to usher the best ideas to production.
- Impact: Qualitative and quantitative data are an integral part of your design mindset, and your designs impact measurable goals.
- Agility: You believe in the MVP and seek to find the shortest path to the best answer.
- User Research: You are skilled in various research methods from which you are able to glean actionable insights.
- Delight: You have a keen eye for visual design and you seek to elevate The Muse brand with clean, modern design execution.
- Detail Orientation: You don’t miss a pixel in QA and your designs consider an array of screens, devices, experiences, and user abilities.
- Focus: You are a ruthless prioritizer and seek out only the most impactful work.
- You feel great about where you are in your career — knowledgeable, accomplished, and confident — and you’re eager for a new challenge. You’re looking to grow quickly into a design leadership role, with more oversight and responsibility, but not without the love and support of your team and your manager.
- 7+ years of digital user experience and user interface design
- 3+ years of owning the design strategy for a product or team
- Deep knowledge of Agile/Lean/Scrum product design and development, preferably in a fast-growth startup environment
- Data-driven thinking and analytical skills are a must.
- You’ve managed several multi-quarter projects informed by user research.
- Experience managing a design system and/or design pattern library
- Knowledge of leading digital-design and prototyping tools such as Sketch and InVision
- Marketplace, e-commerce, or conversion-driven design are a plus.
Working at The Muse
The Muse is the leading online destination for Millennial and Gen-Z knowledge workers seeking to advance their careers and research today’s best companies and jobs.
We are dedicated to improving how people work — and we start from within. We constantly refine our processes and operations, from little things like investing in the right internal tools and software to big things like transparent leadership and company financials. We solicit ideas from all corners of the company and hold each other accountable for being our best selves. We strive every day to make The Muse welcoming and inclusive for our employees, our clients, and our candidates.
-You’ll be surrounded by a collaborative team that is working together to reshape the future of work.
-We move fast, with iterative product releases every day. We embrace failure as a part of our process and strive to improve every day.
-Our founders thrive on transparency. You’ll always know the latest about company progress, strategy, board meetings, and big, company-wide decisions.
-We stick to a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work knowing you’ll be surrounded by people who genuinely care about you.
-We will invest in your professional development — manager one-on-ones, skip-level meetings, leadership exposure, presentation opportunities, and learning/development budgets.
-Competitive health/vision/dental benefits, 401(k), and unlimited vacation.
The majority of the team is headquartered in New York, NY (37th & Broadway), but we’re making the most of quarantine with regular Zoom standups and team meetings, purposeful Slack communication, and consistent company messaging from leadership.
For consideration, please submit your resume and portfolio or personal website.
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
Back to top