The Muse strives to make work more human by being a trusted resource for millions of people as they seek career satisfaction—not just another job. Companies partner with The Muse as they look to attract and retain the best talent by living an authentic and compelling employer story. Our mission is to create meaningful connections between companies and candidates to make the world of work—from the job search to career development—more personal.
There’s a lot of cool technology behind our products, and our engineering team is looking for a QA Lead to help build our QA practice from the ground up, fostering a culture where quality is embedded from the very beginning of the development process.
This role reports to our VP of Engineering.
How you’ll make an impact
- You’ll own and drive the overall quality of The Muse codebase and development process, aiming to constantly improve performance and user experience
- You’ll work with the engineering and leadership teams to define our QA strategy and develop a roadmap to support that strategy
- You’ll work with our Tech Leads and Product Managers to better understand our product, building a testing environment that matches our needs and ensures high-quality releases
- You’ll develop and execute test plans for identifying issues before they ship, and work with our engineering team to instill a culture of quality in development
- You’ll help scale our QA team as we grow
Why We’ll Love You
- You have extensive knowledge of major QA tools, bug-tracking systems, and automation tools
- You know what it takes to build a QA team from ground up—you can recommend the right tools to use, are familiar with QA best practices, and know what to focus on first; Ideally you’ve done this before
- You’re excited to teach and will take the time to share best practices for writing quality code and creating unit tests along the way
- You’ll take the time to gain in-depth knowledge of every step of our development process, not just the end
- You’re creative and know how to get more done with fewer resources
- You’re comfortable being the only QA engineer for a while, owning both strategy and execution
- You’re used to agile environments and know how to respectfully push back on things you think should not be released and will take the time to explain why
- Bonus points if you’ve been in a management or QA tech lead role
- Even better if you have development experience and can look at the code to provide more precise feedback to developers
Why You’ll Love Us
- We’re fanatical about finding the right tool for each job. We pick technologies because they make sense, and we’re not afraid to try something new when we feel that it could be useful, even if we’ve never used it before.
- Our team works on problems, not tasks. We like to help other teams turn their needs into great technology, and we give each engineer the freedom to tackle the challenges that they find most interesting.
- We move fast, with multiple releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success.
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
In an industry full of wordpress installs, our tech stack stands above the rest. We've created a custom web application that builds on:
- Python 3 and Go on the backend
- Typescript and react on the frontend
- PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch and Redis for data management
- Node.js and Ruby on Rails for various tools and services
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Meet Some of The Muse's Employees
Co-Founder & CEO
Kathryn and co-founder Alex Cavoulacos lead The Muse in helping job-seekers around the world find their dream careers—from launching a career coaching service to writing a book on The New Rules of Work.
Back to top