The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
Our Engineering team is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to help build and enhance the platform that powers The Muse. In this role you’ll work closely with other engineers to build a suite of products that help our users navigate their careers and our clients attract the best possible candidates. Projects you could work on include implementing our new authentication & authorization platform and integrating Kafka as the source of truth for services that rely upon chained synchronous requests.
You’ll work with technologies and programming languages including Python, Go, Postgres, Kafka, and Amazon Web Services. Don’t worry if you haven’t worked with every technology we’re using today. We’re looking for someone who has a history of building great software, thrives working with complex systems, and looking to have a positive impact.
How you'll Make an impact
- You’ll think deeply about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles to craft novel solutions to product requirements if necessary, while utilizing existing, well-vetted tools whenever possible.
- You’ll spend significant time researching a problem domain to arrive at an optimal solution under given constraints.
- You’ll offer mentorship and guidance on the best ways to design and implement new systems for our products.
- You'll be a voice in our technical and product roadmap.
Why we'll love you
- You apprehend new technologies in a short period of time and are not afraid to work in multiple engineering disciplines, including backend development, dev tooling, infrastructure creation, networking, and occasionally frontend.
- You decompose services into their concerns, i.e., performance, reliability, security, scalability, usability, compliance
- You’ve rolled out new services or changes to existing services with minimal impact to dependent systems
- You are a strong programmer capable of writing high-performance production quality code.
- You have experience monitoring and debugging large, distributed systems
- You are well-versed in AWS technologies and infrastructure components, specifically EC2, ECS, API Gateway, and Cognito as well as containerization technologies such as Docker.
Why you'll love us
- We have a strong belief in testing our work and believe in a varied set of testing methods (Integration, Unit, Smoke, etc.)We’re fanatical about finding the right tool for each job.
- We pick technologies because they make sense, and we’re not afraid to try something new when we feel that it could be useful, even if we’ve never used it before.
- We move fast, with multiple releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success.
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionallyWe offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Back to top