Lead DevOps Engineer
There’s a lot of cool technology behind our products, and our engineering team is looking for a Lead DevOps Engineer to help provide end-to-end solutions for our infrastructure now and as we grow. This role reports to our CTO.
ABOUT THE MUSE
The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- You’ll oversee and architect the infrastructure that makes it possible for our Engineering team to work efficiently and our website to run smoothly.
- You’ll help our Data Science team manage tooling that processes billions of data points every month.
- You’ll work to improve our development and deployment processes to reduce the likelihood of downtime and optimize costs.
- You’ll work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to create open lines of communication and better understand their infrastructure needs.
Why We’ll Love You
- You have at least 3 years of DevOps experience in a cloud-based environment and experience managing and leading teams.
- You love to build and optimize systems that are resilient to failure, ready for growth, and as efficient as possible.
- You’re naturally curious and enjoy problem solving.
- You’re proactive and move at a fast pace—you have no problem staying ahead of a rapid development cycle.
- You have experience deploying and managing PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Python, and Go (or similar tech) on AWS.
- You’re familiar with other AWS technologies, like Redshift, OpsWorks, Kinesis, Data Pipeline, and so on.
- You’re well versed in continuous integration systems, monitoring, and capacity planning.
- You're eager to learn new technologies with us!
Why You’ll Love Us
- We’re fanatical about finding the right tool for each job. We pick technologies because they make sense, and we’re not afraid to try something new when we feel that it could be useful, even if we’ve never used it before.
- You’ll get a chance to work on systems that operate on a large scale—tens of millions of users, and hundreds of millions of documents served every year.
- You’ll be a part of a team where reliability and stability are everyone’s responsibility: Every engineer is part of the on-call schedule.
- We move fast, with multiple releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success.
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
In an industry full of wordpress installs, our tech stack stands above the rest. We've created a custom web application that builds on:
- Python 3 and Go on the backend
- Typescript and React on the frontend
- Cloud-based infrastructure based on Docker with CI/CD pipelines and automated testing infrastructure
- Kafka-based streaming data infrastructure along with a number of real-time and historical data storage platforms
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.
Back to top